the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pirbright Common has gone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:41pm
Gemma, the guy seemed to know the exact bunch of birches I was talking about, spoke to him about the big pine next to it, where the footpath was, even the slope of the ground. Still went....

Marsh
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:41pm
Yep, I know the guy that said he didn't understand the grid reference knew exactly where it was too!
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 9:49pm
Being on site when the work is done is the only way to prevent damage to sensitive areas but the people organising the work don't like anyone else's opinions or knowledge. Also we never get invited to help supervise what the professionals and contractors are doing.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:33am
Exactly Chris, during my professional work I would not allow any contractor to start work without watching brief. On the one occasion a contractor ignored this instruction, animals died. All they were doing was installing exclusion fencing!

The fact is as no attempt is made to move animals in these schemes I'm not really sure what good it would do. One could protect hibernacula, but the animals will still face a moonscape when they emerge. 

It simply shouldn't be happening at all. This level of clearance would not occur during any of my contract work until after the animals were excluded, captured and relocated. Even though I've now seen it time and time again I still find it almost unbelievable these events are allowed to even happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic