the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palmate Newt Distribution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Pernetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palmate Newt Distribution
    Posted: 29 Sep 2004 at 12:41pm

Dear All,

Im currently trying to research what has determined the current distribution of Palmate newts on the islands off the coast of britain. I was wondering if anyone knew/ had access to a list of islands on which it is present?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Angelo Pernetta

Angelo Pernetta
PhD Student,
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology - Dorset
http://uk.geocities.com/angelopernetta/
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 3:16pm
Not much help I know but I can say that it does NOT occur on Flat Holm in the Severn Estuary.
Local Authority Ecologist
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2004 at 1:31am
You'll struggle like hell to find them in Lincolnshire too. A couple of heathland sites have records but they are a tiny minority. There are a few islands in the Humber with interesting fauna and flora (black rats anyone?) but I know of no newt information for these. Judging by land either side though I suspect these are fully palmate free.

Lee.

Edited by -LAF
Lee Fairclough
Angelo Pernetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Pernetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 12:35pm

Many thanks for those messages

I havent seen the map before - that was a great help.

I'll keep you posted with what I find out

Angelo Pernetta
PhD Student,
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 2:41pm
One of the islands where palmates have been recorded is Isle of Sheppy in Kent. However, the two records on my database are rather suspect and need verification. There are no other palmate records in that part of the county. Interestingly there are no records from the South Essex coast either. Perhaps Jon can shed some light on the Essex distribution.

In case you don't know Kent. The Isle of Sheppy is towards the top of the map. Although it looks like it is joined to the rest of Kent, there is in fact a wide channel between it and the mainland.

Edited by calumma
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Angelo Pernetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelo Pernetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 3:10pm

Thanks Lee for that message - I have a theory as to why Palmate newts have been recorded on Islands such as Sheppy without being recorded in the near vicinity on the mainland. I dont want to go into detail yet as it needs more backing - but as soon as I think I have enough proof I'll let you know!

Thanks again

Angelo

Angelo Pernetta
PhD Student,
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 5:56pm
Angelo,

When you have the data, I would certainly be interested in learning more about your hypothesis. I'm keen on collecting more herp data from Sheppy (and some of the other small islands in the Thames Estuary). We were hoping to include it in our survey programme this year. Unfortunately none of our volunteer surveyors lived close enough...

Perhaps next year.

Lee
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2004 at 1:08pm

Angelo

Palmate Newt records from Islands around the Essex Coastline is only Mersea Island - There are no records for the species on Canvey Island, or Two Tree Island - Palmates live very close by on the mainland - Belfairs Nature Reserve - an ancient woodland with a Bagshot sand/claygate geology.

The Mersea Island Record needs verifiying but the nearest mainland records are West and South West of Colchester - again in woodland sites such as Friday Woods, Pods Wood and Layer Breton -

The population of palmates in Friday Woods are doing nicely in tank rutts - this is an army training ground!!!

I can send through my records for palmate in Essex

Jon

Ewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 2:46pm
Hi Angelo
I found Palmates present a couple of years ago in ~15 bog pools spread over a couple of sq km on Sgurr na Stri next to the Cuillins on the Isle of Skye. Interestingly several of the breeding males were significantly smaller than normal.

Ewan.

Found the photo. The coin is a 1p.

Edited by Ewan
Ewan Shilland
Contract Research Scientist
Environmental Change Research Centre
University College London
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2005 at 7:55pm
I've read about & also found for myself that Palmate newts of heathland ponds can be rather small. Anyway, although i introduced Palmates to my pond many years ago (where they're still doin' great alongside Smooths & the odd few visiting Cresteds), there's none known to be in the wild here in north Oxfordshire. In fact, i think just about the only ones i've heard of in this county are meant to exist at a BBONT reserve on the edge of Oxford. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic