the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One from Essex 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One from Essex 2012
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 4:39pm
I hope everyone appreciates the effort I went to to get this in-situ shot complete with annoying bit of vegetation, kneeling in the brambles and hands on the stinging nettles:

Despite the weather being close to perfect, it was a slow start this morning with only three grass snakes showing, this one, an adult male and largish adult female. I think the light frost last night here in Essex slowed thing down and the site is more of an 'afternoon' site.

Recorded sixteen clumps of frog spawn, locally there is a bit of a lack of common frogs so it was nice to be at a site where there is a healthy population. I have to own up I only found one of the clumps myself, the site manager carried on looking when I had all but given up after finding the single clump along the sunniest bank. He found 15 more clumps in quite a shaded but shallow spot. We figured it was less prone to the ducks disturbing it but would catch the afternoon sun, clever frogs!

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 7:46pm
ClapBig smile in situ grassie shots really are the most difficult...nicely done!

tim
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 5:54pm
I do appreciate it Gemma, I know exactly what you mean. I had to wait 35 minutes for this grumpy girl to come back out (after one heavy foot fall sent her into hiding) and by which time I was busting for the loo!!!
RobV
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 6:06pm
lol well done rob

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
Lol Rob, you should have just peed yourself, not too much to ask is it? You sure though you were not holding on to that grassie's tail out of shot?? LOL

Seriously though that is a lovely picture, Maybe Chris could consider only using in-situ piccies on the new ID pages, they are way better and well worth the waiting and discomfort we go through to get them in my opinion.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:15am
I totally agree with you Gemma and Tim.

It takes lots more patience, sometimes with not very good results, to get a pic that is actually happening out there in the field. And lets face it, this is going to be the more restricated view that most people will see (if they're lucky), yes Chris, only use in situ shots

R
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 8:18am
And I have a bit of a problem now. I've got this new lens because the large 50 - 500 was just too unwieldy to use to get in situ shots. So I bought this 70-300 macro (sigma) but the problem????

I hear you ask.... Is that now when I pick up a Grassie etc, I can't stretch my arm out far enough for the damn thing to focus!!! AAAArrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 12:45pm
When I see a grassie adder and smooth snakes all cuddled up basking with sand lizards I get a bit sus as to where in the wild it was taken Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic