the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

on their way out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:13pm
I believe the steepness of the cliffs in the area was discussed here in the past. 

It was quite a 'lively' thread that suddenly went very quiet after one of the contributors had a meeting with NE and reported back that there was no intention to establish if the introduced species were having a negative impact. As far as NE were concerned the animals should just be eradicated.

To be quite honest regarding site clearances I have been involved in it is not all that difficult to remove most if not all reptiles from a site. Particularly gravid females which are the most likely to be basking and therefore visible for the longest periods and also the least able to escape. Done over several years the impacts would be quite obvious on the population I would guess.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:22pm
NE are a bunch of daleks, aren't they?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 2:33pm
I have seen no evidence of trapping the animals at Boscombe - I think its most likely to be several awful summers which explains the lack of observed animals.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 4:04pm
I agree with you Will the cold summers just like this one and the recent harsh long cold winters that have been with us for the last 4/5 year I am sure sand lizard hatchings are down as been to cold for incubating.Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 4:06pm
Absolutely Keith - hardly saw a sand lizard hatchling last year, even down in sunny Dorset!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 7:03pm
No evidence is assuming the person 'trapping' would be employing ACO?

There are a number of people who's preferred method of catching lizards is using a noose of course, therefore unless they were observed in the act who would even know if it were going on. I'm just suspicious regarding the fact that this particular population and its fate was discussed on here at length a few years ago and then it all went very quiet on the topic.

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 6:31am
Lack of materials but also lack of seeing anyone catching lizards there, fencing etc.  Admittedly its a snapshot, but I have stopped off en route to Purbeck around 6 times this season in ideal conditions and not seen anything or anyone which would lead me to deduce animals were being captured.  And since NE employees are getting as rare as alien lizards themselves I just dont think this is a priority any longer, but I could well be wrong, it has been knownWink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 12:33pm
Likewise Will I could be wrong too, though the work would have been contracted out.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 2:48pm

Absolutely - as with bullfrog in Kent/E Sussex; I guess I meant that they seem so strapped for cash/resources and staff that something like eradicating wall and green lizards from Boscombe would be a tall order and maybe not a priority at the moment in the current climate.  Better to pick on something more catchable like Aesculapian snakes...Wink  Would be really difficult as well, given the steepness of the cliffs, as Keith has pointed out - you would  have to abseil some slopes whilst grabbing at lizards!

ChrisR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 3:54pm
I live very close to the site and visit at least twice a week. There is no way anyone is catching them up to eradicate them. I have seen a 10 year old boy catching the Wall lizards with a fishing net with some success but I think his father has stopped him now.
The Green lizards are just dying out, the same as what happened on the Isle of Wight. I think the problem is the survival rate of the young. The adults make it through the winter but the young aren't surviving in enough numbers to secure the next generation.
I must admit to considering catching a couple of hatchlings/juveniles up this year if I can find any just to have some true brit Green lizards, I have a large vivarium empty. (I wasn't ever going to put any back just preserve the bloodline in captivity).
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic