the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

on their way out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: on their way out?
    Posted: 25 May 2013 at 10:09pm
I've now made three passing visits to Boscombe this year and seen only one pair of green lizards in total - as well as this, numbers of wall lizards seem well down.  Overmanagement cannot be entirely responsible and I wonder if the recent poor summers are more to blame...a few more of these and worries over the impact of these species may not be relevant any longer, since without recruitment the populations will rapidly go extinct.  It will be interesting to see what happens, but for the moment I would suggest you go now to avoid disappointment if you want to see these exotics in the mainland...

ChrisR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 11:01pm
I have only seen 5 individuals this year. One being a juvenile. I have been thinking the same thing maybe a year or two left.

Chris
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 11:29pm
Has someone been collecting them?
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 7:16am
It could be, Suzy, at least from the more accessible parts of the cliffs, but more likely to be the awful last few summers which would lead to virtually no hatching success.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 8:46am
"Hi Will"   this be a sad thing as they certainly give a great deal of pleasure and they appear on the local wildlife notice boards on the cliffs , and there could certainly be people collecting them for money or pets, I thought this sort of collector herpetologist had dissapeared in to the past like my youth ,mind you there is still a lot of wall lizards about & also there was a devastating cliff top fire where a lot used to live a few seasons ago.keith

Edited by AGILIS - 08 Jun 2013 at 5:12pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 2:55pm
Wasn't there talk in the past that NE wanted them eradicated? Perhaps they started?
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 5:14pm
Hmmm good point Gemma and what with the badger culling pity it dont work on humans
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 5:47pm
I visited someone in Dorset 4 years ago and they told me that if I wanted to see the Wall lizards at Boscombe then I should hurry up and get down there. No more details were given butit was implied that certain measures were about to be introduced there.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 7:33pm
mind you they will never be able to clear them out as the cliff face access will make it impossible for the narrow minded NE exterminators , their here to stay just like Euro mps

Edited by AGILIS - 08 Jun 2013 at 7:35pm
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:23pm
Hope so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic