the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number of clear trap days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

It should be Steve, but I'm hearing more and more about avoiding fencing and manipulating habitat in early stages.

Can't believe that some people will work like that.  The manipulation of habitat should be done much later in a mitigation plan and it can help capture the last remaining reptiles on a site.

Avoiding fencing - well that is just asking for trouble. Maybe it's the ticking of boxes thing again, Gemma, or because they want to keep the client's cost down by not installing fencing or rushing a job.

But yes I agree with both of you with the number of clear days and ACO counts.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:37pm

There have been some rather major projects in the last couple of years, highly visible to the public where the bulk of the vegetation (including mature trees) was cleared before capture works (reptile and GCN) even began.

I guess it's a neat solution, corvids do the bulk of the capture work and sign off is on schedule.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:46am
Re tins: shapes sizes and materials....

We've adopted a SARG standard tin. We don't have enough research evidence to make an informed decision about the best material and size, but we do need some kind of standard to compare 'like with like'.

Here is a spec for the standard we have adopted for wide-area reptile survey and monitoring. It may change if the evidence-base improves.

http://www.surrey-arg.org.uk/SARG/19000-Professionals/SARG%2 0Refugia%20Specification.pdf

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 11:41am
Tis a balance....luckily, the people who do persecute reptiles tend not to have great research skills :p

It's a recognisable 'brand' that land managers and their agents understand. Communication between management (and conservation) groups can be awful at times, and it provides any 'official' who stumbles across a tin some confidence that it is there with the right permissions.

The only time we've ever encountered systematic persecution was at a site where big tin numbers were painted on each tin.

I think that what we want to avoid is any hot-headed member of the public 'going off on one' about dangers of encouraging snakes. Somebody who cooly remembers the logo, and then looks it up on t'interweb is perhaps less likely to be a 'standard nutter'.

I do take your point about the images in the logo, but I guess we'll keep the design until it causes an issue. No problems yet from 4 years of this process.

That's the plan anyhow.....
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 1:25pm
Are there missing posts on this thread? Seems Steve you are answering someone but I can't see who??
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 4:14pm
Yes, sorry that was me. I had just joked that the SARG logo
graphic might give away the true purpose of the tins,
realised that this might be misunderstood so subsequently
deleted. I must have crossed with Steve's reply. Sorry
Steve
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 4:22pm
I thought it was a fair point !
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 5:09pm
Ah I see, often wondered myself if it was worth putting
labels on tins. Got to be a site decision I think. We've
had tins tidied up on road contracts by mistake. A label
might have prevented that as the workers would have
realised an 'official' survey was being undertaken.

Perhaps with lots of public access it's 50/50 as to whether
they would help or not. You seem to get some sites where
people realise they are there for a purpose and keep
disrupting them, but it's fairly rare.
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 10:17pm

Regarding the numbering of tins, on most sites that we are working on, there is no public access so there shouldn't be a problem with people walking through the site. Found it helpful to number the tins so that it makes it easier recording the animals found underneath each tin.

On sites where there is public access, we tend to put these in areas where the public shouldn't be and never put them close to, or on, public footpaths.

I suppose the best thing to do is write "Do not lift" or "do not disturb: survey in progress" on tins - although I still think that putting refugia down in areas where people won't find them and not using shiny materials works well.

Edited by sussexecology - 17 Feb 2012 at 12:58am
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:02am
I liked Anne Riddel's worries about using tin sheet (at her study site) due to the presence of a nearby gypsy camp. That's where i get my tins now at bargain basement prices (lovely rusty ones too). Advert in the local rag simply read 'Will take any scrap metal, Call James 0775....' Beautiful economy of words! I wonder if i've inadvertently recycled some pissed off herp worker's tins as a result Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic