the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Wales Aesculapians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:10pm
Understood Wolfgang, keep us informed.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:17pm
Wolfgang,

I'm writing a book about British reptiles and amphibians - a mixture of literary nature writing, natural history and memoir. Would it be possible to talk to you in detail about these Aesculapians sometime?

Richard
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 6:56am
Sure thing - my email is w dot wuster at bangor dot ac dot uk
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:41pm
I have visited London for the sole purpose of photographing the Aesculapian Snake population there a couple of times now. I will visiting again this year at some point. I also plan a trip to photograph the Welsh Aesculapian Snakes at Colwyn Bay too and that would be my only reason for making the long journey to Wales.

Jason
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 12:32pm
Thank you. That's kind. I'll do that.

Richard
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:27pm
regarding the economic benefits of feral Aesculapian snakes, for the last five years the ZSL has had 80 quid from me so I can pop into the Zoo whenever I am able to watch the snakes there.  I guess that's 400 quid...  now, it's quite possible that I would have joined the Zoo anyway, but the lure of spotting free-range snakes was definitely a deal-maker, as far as I am concerned...
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 6:35am
...not to mention the cost of all those expensive sandwiches I seem to end up buying there, too...
John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:27pm
I have only just learned of these plans to eradicate the animals from WMZ.

I see these animals every year, and feel repulsed by the idea that some sad individual(s) feel themselves empowered to embark on such an eradication programme - which would not be difficult to achieve on this isolated and restricted population.
These animals have no observable impact on native species, and have lived there for a long time.
I can only hope that some form of defence can be raised, to ensure the continued survival of the animals, and that this will involve input from myself and other interested parties.

Very, very disgruntled admirer/supporter of the WMZ population - dont do this !!
John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:44pm
My understanding is that all non-native species in Wales are being reviewed, information compiled, etc. Please do correct me if I am wrong Wolfgang but there are no plans in the pipe line for aesculapians to be eradicated? As long as it can be proven that they aren't invasive / a threat, now or in the future, then nothing will happen. I know Wolfgang and Co will continue to monitor the population, so I wouldn't worry about this.

The only thing to be done is provide a sound scientific case, which I'm sure Wolfgang has under control. But if anyone has any information that may help do contact him.

John, if you have any records I'm sure Wolfgang would appreciate them in case they are in locations he doesn't know about.
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:59am
Mark,

I think the non-native species secretariat are hoping to get something done about them (there is an agenda point on an "eradication programme" at a forthcoming meeting), although I don't know if there are any concrete or specific plans. I know CCW don't consider this a priority so long as they are monitored and there is no evidence of current or future problems.

John, if you have any records from outside the boundaries of the zoo, I would certainly like to hear about them. We have a few records from gardens within 500 meters or so of the zoo, but nothing further.
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic