the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newt ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liziik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newt ID
    Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 9:18pm
Hello! 
I have moved from central london to buckinghamshire! And i now have a newt in my garden he comes out at the same time every night and hangs around on the patio. I dont have any ponds in my garden infact not a lot at all in my garden as i haven't been here long! Is he ok here or should i take him to the marshy lands near my house? im not sure if i should leave him be or not? What sort of newt is he? i would love to learn more and anything i should do to help him :) thank you L 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 11:41am
Dig a pond!
As the newt made its own way there it can easily move if it doesn't like it. They do spend time out of water. As a stop gap maybe put down a few things for newts to hide under - pieces of wood like logs, sheets of tin or sheets of wood. Newts and other herps thrive in untidy and overgrown areas which often conflicts with some gardeners designs!

Edited by Suzy - 21 Feb 2014 at 11:57am
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 12:10pm
As Suz says, get digging! 

We have two small newt species in the UK, smooth and palmate. The large newt species is the Great Crested Newt.

You have there I think a male Smooth Newt, the large dark spots on the flanks are what I'm going on. Though telling the two small newt species apart, especially the females is usually easier in person rather than from a photo.

We have a brief write up on Smooth newts here:

If you follow the link at the top of the page to Species native to the UK you'll find write up on the other two species as well.

Edited by GemmaJF - 21 Feb 2014 at 12:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic