the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New wall lizard population in Kent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epicrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New wall lizard population in Kent
    Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 1:21pm

Hello,

As part of my role as KRAGS Alien species officer, Dr Lee Brady (familiar to most of you) called me after he received a picture of some eggs found by contractors refurbishing an area of Dover Castle.

Lee and I both agreed that the eggs represented a potentially new population of Podarcis in Kent.

We visited the Castle the next day and guided by the English heritage manager, we found a south facing area and within minutes had found good number of wall lizards. 

It was a privilege  to confirm the presence of a new, robust population of wall lizards in Kent, I think they are most likely P. nigriventis or maculiventris. I am leaning towards nigriventris. I would be interested in your thoughts.

If anybody requires detailed site info please PM me.

Also if anybody has site info for established alien populations of Herps in Kent and surrounding counties, I would be very grateful, please PM me.

Very kind regards Paul

Paul 
GCN lova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GCN lova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 4:17pm
Hi

I saw a Wall lizard at Berengrave Nature Reserve in Rainham, Kent.
snakey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:54pm
the male lizard in the picture looks to be of the same subspecies as those commonly seen at shoreham
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:30pm

Hiya

They are a lovely lizard - alien or not. I would go for maculiventris though. Nigriventris males are generally more heavily "marbled" and the females if green at all, tend to show green all over while the dorso-lateral stripes are more typical of maculiventris. Even more similar to the Boscombe animals than the Shoreham ones.

If Rob Heathcote see this he could well be even more positive - one way or another!!

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic