the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natrix & Berus Together

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natrix & Berus Together
    Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 10:46am

At one of my fave spots in Brookwood I often find Natrix and berus together under tin.. Do they ever share hibernation dens?

Alan

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 6:27pm

Berus and Natrix basking together has been a feature of the Hindhead bracken site, both in its heyday around the pond and now on the slope. I've even seen them coil one on another in the past.

Can't be sure till the spring but I've got a possible site for the hibernacula. It's the base of an upturned tree stump, with what look like disused rabbit diggings very close to where I first sighted the adders earlier in the year, though with so much laying bracken there could be many other possibilities.

Both species are still to be found nearby, so it could well be shared. I like the bracken sites mainly because I often find the 4 common species of reptiles at the same site. Today only the Common Lizards braved the wind and drizzle, no snakes at all, but it did give me the chance to confirm that the lizards have a much wider distribution over the slope, than berus or natrix.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 6:33pm

Thanks Tony , I've seen natrix and berus together ,both basking and under tin . I did wonder about hibernation.

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic