the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAT PRETENDING TO BE DEAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAT PRETENDING TO BE DEAD
    Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 1:02pm

Couple of shots of a nat feigning dead that I found on the water meadows in Sudbury today late arvo see one others tail dissapearing not bad seeing as the site is  almost in town 

Keith

Edited by GemmaJF
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 1:26pm
Hi Keith,
I can't see the pics mate
Al
O-> O+>
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 2:28pm
I think its Sibon sp
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 2:45pm

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 2:46pm
 sorry at the moment its nat incognito tempororium

Edited by AGILIS
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 3:01pm

What's up, I can see them

Great pics Keith, I never seem to have the camera handy when they do that.

No air sickness just withdrawl symptoms, been almost 9 hours now since I was last in the air

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 3:10pm
hi gemma it must be my natural ability and modisty being there at the right time even though I nearly tripped up on it after looking at woodpecker on me way home without seeing much else bit unusual as they normaly have their tongues hanging out perhaps its a mutation er mute ation sorry    keith 

Edited by AGILIS
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 3:54pm

Gemma,

ok, try this trick. next time you catch one, find some damp/wet moss, pull some up and rub the nose of your captive gentlywith the moss. Ping, they go all floppy and feign dead!!

The first time I tried it, I was trying to wipe some infected nostril of a Grassie (thinking of the sphagnum moss anti bacterial properties) and it happened. its happened again since, so I can only assume that they DO NOT like it one bit!.

R

RobV
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 4:46pm

Hi Rob,

After Steve provided photographic evidence that wall lizards really do eat strawberry jam - I suppose I should not dismiss any of the 'darker secrets' of field craft.

I know one of these days though you'll jump out of the bushes and photograph me rubbing a Natrix's nose with moss whilst spreading the rear end exudate over my boots.

Seriously though, I'll give it a try!

PS Keith, I'm still groaning at that pun, 'tis true though that the tongue usually hangs out when they are doing the 'I'm dead - don't eat me' routine.. never did see the logic in it - still it must work for them else I guess they wouldn't do it!

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2007 at 3:45pm

Gemma,

thought you'd like to see the latest recipient of the "moss treatment"! It got so scared, it decided to eat itself! Lol

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic