the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAME THAT LIZARD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAME THAT LIZARD
    Posted: 24 Nov 2005 at 6:51am

hello,

basically Im after a bit of help, my boyfriend being the doctor do little that he is saved two lizards from  a petshop in essex where the petshop guys was trying to get rid of them and I don't think it was in a pleasant way. He has brought them home but we aren't sure what sort of lizards they are and I think they may have been poorly treated as they look a bit battered and both of their tales are growing back which may have been other lizards they were placed with being territorial.

the lizards themselves are medium sized (about the same as a bearded dragon) they have a face like the herbivous dinosaurs in the land before time (the best decription for their faces) they have quite a saggy body that when they lay down it spreads out quite far and their tail is really thick and spiky, one has a red tint and the other is black and yellow.

Both of them as I say are quite worse for wear and look like they have trouble opening their eyes which we have been bathing with warm water and a cotton bud.

Any help would be grately appreciated as they are lovely (well from a owners point of view) they are the ultimate lounge lizard and it would be grate to get them back up to full health I will try and a post a picture on here but my phone camera isn't very clear

This only partially clear picture I have hope it helps in some way

SOPH!
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2005 at 8:49am
Hiya,
This sort of neglect from pet traders makes my blood boil Had your very kind hearted boyfriend not rescued these lizards i'm sure they would've been thrown in the freezer
Anyway , I think the lizards are uromastyx, and here's a link
Uromastyx

I wish you lots of luck , and please let us know how they get on
All the best,
Alan

Edited by Alan Hyde
O-> O+>
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2005 at 3:37pm
Yeh, i second Alans comments about pet traders like that.(  ) Several years back i took a look in a disgusting run pet shop in Leamington Spa where the small number of reptiles they had for sale were practically all in a bad state & kept in filthy tanks. I gave the owner a piece of my mind & said i'd report him for cruelty. I'm sure i recall he seemed quite worried about that. Anyway, yeh, hats off! to your kind hearted fella & all the best to the both of you at trying to nurse the poor lizards back to health. Maybe they might need a trip to a vet who's got some experience of lizards. Good luck! I just wish animal inspectors made far more unannounced spot checks on such hell hole pet shops.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic