the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

musing myco-logically

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: musing myco-logically
    Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 12:08am
i was just thinking the other day that my neighbours untreated but occasionally mown lawn looked like a mini version of many a farmers field post-haymaking. as well as cypress (sadly so common in gardens) hes also got native hazel and box in his hedge.

a couple of weeks later, having forgotten all about my silly daydream, i glanced over the fence and was delighted to see several tasty Parasol Mushrooms (lepiota procera) growing in the "meadow" beside his "hedgerow".

often found both them and the similar Shaggy Parasol in pasture or at woodland edges but this is the first time ive found them in a garden in the inner city.

its probably not uncommon though. just goes to show the effectiveness of spore dispersal by the wind.

they went really well with some bacon.

ben

Edited by ben rigsby
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:17am
Glad to see your fungi stayed still enough to snap it Ben ,puff balls can be a bit trickey but they fry up nice as well .keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:12pm
hi keith, yes the giant puffball is another great free food resource. they are very common hereabouts too. you have to find young "kid leather" specimens rather than the older "spongy" ones though eh? the latter just fall apart when you try to cut them!
amazing how giant puffball shrinks in the pan too.

going back to the parasols of my original post, when i discovered them i was sorely tempted to search my garden for an obliging bufo bufo specimen to plant beside the mushrooms. it probably wouldnt have been hard to find one.

for a crap joke i could have had a pic captioned TOAD AND TOADSTOOL.

thankfully, the urge was defeated.

happy herping (and foraging),

ben

Edited by ben rigsby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic