the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More of my missing Adders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More of my missing Adders
    Posted: 31 May 2003 at 12:43am

Went for a fourth visit to the site of my "missing" adders - which seem to have simply moved to more suitable habitat.

Large female at 17:00, with bulge about a 3rd of the way down, so she must have fed not long before. Very darkly marked. This is the third individual I've now seen within a few square feet over the last month- strange as the whole hillside is made up of laying bracken, but this seems to be the favoured spot, the main features are two open basking areas, and a hollow in the bracken. Their habit seems to be to tolerate me for a few minutes and continue to bask in the open, then move into this hollow, where fortunately I can still sit and observe them.

Also female Grass Snake at 13:00, I didn't get a close examination of her, but I am pretty sure it is an individual I saw a couple of times last year on the exact same spot basking by the pond in the lower valley.. I would like to get a measurement one of these days as I know she's well over 3ft and larger than most of the grass snakes I've seen in the area.

Lots of Palmate newts popping up for air in pond around lunch time.

We also took a "wrong" turn and found a new to me site of mature heather - thats next week sorted then

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2003 at 12:07pm

Sounds like a good day Gemma !. I had no such luck yesterday . I went searching early evening ,(About 6ish) and saw nothing at one of my prime spots.  I did recieve a text just a little while ago this morning from my Brother, " female adder basking near the path at Wisley".

I'd like to see a picture of that large grass snake you saw , it's been quite a while since i've seen a biggy.

Take care,

Alan

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2003 at 3:31pm

The site isn't that far from from Wisley Alan, just a bit further down the A3. I would like to see a picture of the grassy too.. unfortunately I don't have the same skills as you when it comes to  photography!

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2003 at 8:17pm

Now the weather man said sunny today.. hmmmm pored down in Surrey all afternoon, no snakes, but did see a gorgeous brown owl, I guess it was about 12" tall, saw it in flight as I disturbed it whilst looking for cover from the rain, uniform brown, slightly lighter chest, would that be a Tawny owl in this area????

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2003 at 8:39pm

Gemma , thanks so much for the kind words, it means alot to me

Now Birds of prey ..... I luuuuurve birds of prey ,and i'd say it probably was a tawny owl , although it may have been a little owl.

Did the owl resettle anywhere? Little owls quite often fly in daylight , whereas tawny are more reluctant to do so prefering to sit in a tree with their faces screwed up. Littleowls will fly from perch to perch , usually a telegraph pole or fence posts.

Lucky you , I haven't seen an owl for quite a while now. But out in Turkey my brother and I were walking through a pine forrest on the mountainside . We could hear eagles crying above the trees, and as we walked out onto the path one flew very low over our heads with a still clucking chicken hanging in it's claws! Another eagle was following close behind . Great stuff.

Alan

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2003 at 8:47pm

Hi Alan,

It literally flew from one tree to the adjacent one under cover of the canopy, barely a wing beat, picked a good tree too, kept the rain off for ages  Was a little larger in flight than a Barn Owl - certainly made my day worthwhile.

Saw  a couple of Barn Owls around Havering way whilst out on my GCN survey nights last month also.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 10:03am

Hi Gemma,

You know.. I've never seen a barn owl in the wild. Definitely sounds like your owl was a tawny then.

Alan

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 6:52pm
Hi Tony,

I'll do my best to sum up my observations down the years. The site is on Hindhead, I think a large enough heath not to give the precise location away.

Around 1983 my brother-in-law, then one of the woodmen on the common created a largish pond in a boggy area with low species count. Interested in native herps he cleared the surrounds of birch and placed piles of sticks and bracken specifically for snakes.

Within a couple of years 7 of the commonest species of reptiles and amphibians were to be found close to the pond and in an adjacent meadow, including a large number of Grass Snakes and Adders, I do not recall a bias in the sex ratios for the adders at that time. Observations were on holidays and day trips so amounted to little more than sightings. I recall often seeing both Natrix and Berus basking together, neo adders, often in company with larger snakes, and generally the site being a place where one could not fail to see snakes.

Down the years I continued to visit, slowly I realized that I no longer saw the adders and common lizards, though slow-worms and grass snakes were still abundant.

It is only this year IÆve had the time to find what happened to the adders, discovering the SE facing slope and realizing it could be the place they had moved to.

IÆve not yet located the hibernation bank, though likely places have been noted, a bank runs all the way down the side of the valley and around the back of the pond.

This years sightings have amounted to Grass Snakes still around the pond, and on the slope, 3 adders, 2 female 1 male, all within a just a few square feet of each other on the bracken slope, though IÆve carefully searched IÆve yet to find any others. (I would note though I've not yet had an ideal day, it's either been too wet or too hot so far and iv'e not been down on a day with showers and sun breaking, but this week looks hopeful)

The site is as you describe now with the green bracken having started to rise over the last week or so. ItÆs still easy to get around though as a group of Deer frequent the slope and there are obvious runs that can be followed whilst observing for snakes, so IÆll continue observation for the rest of this season and hopefully be able to get an early start next year to get a clearer picture of the population.

The area adjacent to the pond has changed, birch has encroached, the bracken piles are gone that provided open basking sites (though even 20 years on you can see where they were placed), and later in the year it becomes a forest of bracken. The shading is very noticeable, as 20 years ago it was a string of sun-traps all around the pond, now only 1 or 2 patches of ground catch the sun and this is where I still observe the Grass Snakes.

IÆm left wondering, if my brother-in-laws work simply extended the range of habitat from the adjacent slope, attracting the adders for a short period and now they have returned to where they started. It seems an ideal site to answer some of the questions about Adders and habitat change, I would love to see the pond area managed again and though I have mentioned the site and given details to Richard Anstis of Surrey ARG and offered to meet there, IÆve yet to hear anything back. Further I would like to be directly involved in any decisions about what is to be done as with 20 years of observation of the site I know a little about it û if you can point me in the right direction how to go about it all, it would be very much appreciated.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 7:46pm
Tony, that would be fantastic , I've lost count of the sleepless nights I've had over this place. I'll get in touch with Richard again and see what can be arranged.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2003 at 8:53pm

Gemma , Tony ,

I know that my whole family would be there .We all thoroughly enjoyed our pond mission round the local school.

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic