the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monday 5th May

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monday 5th May
    Posted: 06 May 2003 at 11:08am

Hi All ,

Took my son out with his new Dig Camera so he could get some practice in.

The weather was Sunny cloudy ,and quite breezey . No berus were seen , but we did see 8 common lizards, 7 slow-worms, and one very moth eaten Grass snake . The grass snake was in slough and had many scars around the mouth .

Pictures to follow soon.

Alan

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 11:27am

Looking forward to them Alan , you had a better day than me yesterday then, surveyed 24 ponds and only a single smooth newt, agricultural area, I do far better in Central London!

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 11:59am

Morning Gemma!

That's a shame, but we all have days like that . It's usually when I've said to my Brother, "Oh , you've gotta to come to so and so with me, I saw loooods of adders there". Huh , then of course when he comes there's none out . The weather is perfect , but they all seem to be hiding. "I'm telling you , there were loads here last thursday".

Anyway , Here are Jays first shots of Natrix . I had to hold on to them on this occasion as he gets used to focusing on macro , and holding the camera steady , but of course all were released in the same spot unharmed after photographing.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 12:00pm

One more . See the scabs around his mouth?

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 1:26pm

Hmmmmmm, I get the feeling that reptiles get on a bus and vacate the area sometimes, particularly when they get wind that I am trying to show people how nice they are

Looks like Jay has his Dads knack for photography already , I wonder how the grassy got those wounds, maybe bite marks?

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 4:10pm

LOL! "that reptiles get on a bus ". Now that's my kind of humour. I'm always telling my wife that the reason I'm tired is because, her Guinea pigs kept me awake all night ,roaring up and down the garden path on their motorbikes.

Thanks sooo much for the kind words about mine and Jays pics . he'll be so pleased when he sees that..Digital pictures are definitely good where young children are concerned as they see results instantly . He kept on deleting pics all day long , growing frustrated . But , I'm pleaeed that he got there in the end.

I wondered about the wounds also . What you can't see is the other side of his face , which had just as many scars ,Hmmm?????

Many thanks Gemma,

Take care,

Alan

Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 4:44pm

Hello, great piccys - I really must pay attention more when you lot talk about cameras and photography!

Those marks on the snake, I can't help but feel that they look a bit like a parasite wound, maybe something been hanging on the snake?

Oh and in reply to another thread Alan, I'm down near to Portsmouth.

Martin.

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 4:48pm
I wondered that too Martin, like the wounds you sometimes see from ticks, but in the second picture there looks like what might be a healed puncture wound further down the back?
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 5:34pm

Hi Martin, Gemma , and thanks

I dunno, could be parasite wounds , but i've seen plenty of those on captive herps . Close up they seemed to look more like some sort of blood blister.

Could've been ticks though.

Cheers,

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic