the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mifwife toads in Devon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ngreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mifwife toads in Devon
    Posted: 14 May 2010 at 10:02am
I am trying to find out more about midwife toads in Devon. Several references from ARC/ARG/RAUK state that they are present in Devon, one saying south Devon, but the Local Records Centre has no record and no one knows where this information has come from. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light.
mhows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:53pm

In 1954, the third Viscount Anthony Chaplin released several species of animals into his walled garden at Wadstray House (Owned by Lord Chaplin from 1951 until his death in 1981) at Blackawton, near Totnes in Devon.

Two egg carrying [Midwife toad] males from the London Zoological Gardens were released at Black Oughton [Blackawton is the location of Wadstray Ho.], Totnes, in South Devon by Viscount Chaplin in the mid 1950's. This colony existed until the early 1970's but has not been heard of since. ( P Nicholson, Teignbridge District Council, 1985)

They are still present at sites local to me in Northants, Beds and I have recently found a site in Essex where they are present.

I hope someone helps you with some more detailed information.

Mark

mhows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 7:43pm

There is a healthy population in the south of Oundle, locally common but not particularly dispersed. They breed in garden ponds, they are easily heard during the right season.

Robert Brocklehurst / family  introduced them to Oundle and Worksop from the Bedford colony in the 1950's

Mark

Some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8209127@N04/4622588102/in/set-7 2157612155046196/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8209127@N04/4621981485/in/set-7 2157612155046196/

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:15pm
Hi Mark

I notice that you assign the UK midwife toads to Alytes cisternasii rather than the traditional Alytes obstetricans on your Alien Invaders website - is this now generally accepted?

Cheers

Will 
mhows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:13pm

Originally posted by will will wrote:

Hi Mark

I notice that you assign the UK midwife toads to Alytes cisternasii rather than the traditional Alytes obstetricans on your Alien Invaders website - is this now generally accepted?

Cheers

Will 

No idea, I was told they were  cisternasii, but happy to be corrected if that is incorrect as I am no expert on taxonomy.

Mark

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 9:03am
Me neither!  It's just that they're always referred to as the 'commoner' species 'obstetricans' which is the one found just over the Channel in France, rather than the Iberian species.  Apparently the critical feature is the presence of 3 tubercles on the 'palm' of each hand in obstetricans, and only 2 with cisternasii.  I guess this could be worth checking on UK populations (although of course you wouldn't then be legally allowed to let them go..)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 12:52pm
Thanks for that - here's one from Herts, which certainly looks like obstetricans to me:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic