the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Melanistic adder - Devon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 5:21pm
Here's one from London which I saw today while doing pre-hibernation surveys:

Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 8:54pm
Lovely animal will. It's interesting how all the melanistic adder photos I remember seeing you can see the zigzag but the one I saw these markings were not visible.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:50am
Hi Mark; yes, great animal which had just shed, giving a blueish tinge to the scales.  I was thinking the same thing when I found it, ie that there's a gradation from almost jet black, with no white supralabial scales at all, and no hint of a zig-zag through to what are basically just rather dark 'normal' animals.  I guess the genetics (and environmental effects) of melanism must be very complicated, and not simply a question of a single recessive allele.
Cheers

Will
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:07pm
Here's one which (sort of) shows off his blue scales:

kithara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kithara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 9:24am
Thanks for sharing
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 11:33am
Thanks, and welcome to the forum
kithara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kithara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 1:08pm
that stunning!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic