the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

marbled marvels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marbled marvels
    Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
hi Lords n Ladies.

no doubt like many of you, im often actively seeking new (to me) local sites for herps. sometimes successful, other times not!
today (Swifts Hill, Slad) unfortunately fell into the latter category. at least on this occasion - weather conditions werent the best admittedly.

however i did see one of my favourite butterflies in relative abundance.
so beautiful.

the Marbled White
melanargia galathea;

on one of its nectar resources (Greater Knapweed);

side by side with a male Common Blue
polyommatus icarus;

these sightings didnt compensate for the lack of herps much though!

cheers,ben
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 9:36am
Nice pix Ben. Knapweed is so loved by butterflies.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 11:26am
undefinedHi Ben,

yes the marbled white is a beautiful creature, I like the orange tip as well, which you don't see many of now. Also I'm waiting for my lazy lavendar to come out so I can see these again.

R
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 11:31am
undefinedAnd really, I quite like seeing these. Although not many others do as they get them mixed up for something nasty
RobV
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 2:29pm
I got started off on Lepidoptera and more specifically caterpillars at about the age of three or four. I've loved them ever since, even run me Robinson moth trap every now and again or rear the occasional interesting species from egg. Would like to see more pics of the southern species though Ben. We get a few southern migrant M Whites drifting through the wildflower meadows here, although i've yet to see one (in my home county that is).

The thing that i've noticed about the underside of the MW lower wing is how similar the markings are to the Pearl and Small Pearl-boardered fritillaries (except in monochrome).  I was out watching SPB's yesterday in fact, between bouts of stalking Grass snakes on the dry humps in my favourite mire! 

Dunna get much better than that Beer

Cheers Benbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic