the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Adders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparviter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:32pm
Dorsal shot of the blue snake...

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 6:17am
I think I'd go female, but I'm not 100%, it's such an unusual colour - brilliant find anyway, well done!
superdart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superdart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:47am
Some of the best photo's of Adders that I have seen...
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 1:23pm
Lovely pics and beautiful animals - especially the blue one. Normally I too would say female on the basis of the brown zig-zag but the base colour is so unusual that we may well be looking at a natural morph. Does look a little stout for a male as well.  A couple of years ago I saw a beautiful green (i.e. he was as green as this one is blue!) male on a nearby heath, but in his case the zig-zag was definitely black.

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Sparviter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparviter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the replies. Well, if that isn't a male, that means that I still haven't managed to photograph on yet. I saw six adders on my last trip, but only two hung around to be photographed. The hot weather meant that they were very quick!

Well, I'll be back again soon and will let you know how I get on.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 9:10am
Think if you are trying for some pics early morning and early evening sightings can be more rewarding then daytime when its to hot keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 6:08pm
Risley moss is good but there not in the public areas? Im in liverpool but theres none near me ;(
http://ukreptiles.proboards55.com
Sparviter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparviter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by james4 james4 wrote:

Risley moss is good but there not in the public areas? Im in liverpool but theres none near me ;(

Yeah, heard about this James. Think they do guided events every so often. I'd recommend Cannock Chase... well worth the drive from Liverpool.
Sparviter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparviter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:49pm
I am planning on having a mooch in the trough of Bowland next week while I am in the area. If anybody could be so kind as to point me in a general area to start, it would be much appreciated.
Sparviter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparviter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:24pm
Had a look around the Trough of Bowland this week, where I believe berus to be present. Eventually happened upon a small area of what to me looked like perfect adder habitat. The vegetation type and density was exactly the same as where I have seen adders at Cannock. I even found small burrows which may have been made by rodents, but looked exactly like those being used by snakes at the Chase. With more time, I am convinced I would have found snakes here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic