the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limb loss and newts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limb loss and newts
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 8:04am

This year as a little educational project for my son I brought in half a dozen palate newt eggs from the pond into a small tank inside.  My son will study the development and once they are ready they can be returned to the garden.

The little guys are now around 1 inch, one or two a touch larger and they eat anything and everything.  I give them plenty of daphnia, blood worm etc but this isnt enough, they have ideas on eachother.

This comes on to my question, the slighlty larger ones nip at the others and few appear to have lost fore limbs as a result, it doesnt seem to bother them.  In fact the worst culprit has a foot missing itself. No animal has been eaten as they are too large but this nipping persists.  So, do young newts have the ability to re-grow these missing parts? or will they grow up deformed? I have never seen a newt without all its extremities to be fair. 

As I mentioned the odd thing is that it doesnt seem to bother them at all and they are all healthy and as voracious as ever..

martin g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 6:28am

Thanks Caleb.  I thougt just six was a small amount but you are right they eat like nothing else, its hard to keep up so its either up the food or reduce the numbers.

I can put approx 50 daphnia in and they seem to dissapear in an hour or so.  Worse than kids.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic