the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LACK OF REPORTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LACK OF REPORTS
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:20pm
This was once the busiest time of the year for interesting reports and this year must be the worst ever since the forums been up and running no sand lizards smooth snakes hardly a common or adders etc whats not going on Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:23pm
it has been a bumper year for tadpoles here but despite many walks in good weather we haven't seen any reptiles at all here in the South East...
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:27am
Hi Keith - I have yet to visit Dorset because April was so cold but planning a trip soon, so I'll let you know how I get on. I have put up some photos on Flickr which I tend to use by way of a reptile diary now, if you are interested - here's a link for example:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100121190@N06/26725718156/in/datetaken-public/

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:22pm
Your right there Will seems the weathers a month late I see a good few commons today on the housing estate site in Sudbury area where I caught a melanistic sloworm last April keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:36pm
weather and work have kept me away from herping i'm afraid

Edited by Tom Omlette - 03 May 2016 at 7:36pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:04pm
Some guys, like Tom and others, have posted some great images.
I think smooth snakes are going to be thin on the ground on here, unless someone has a licence who posts.
Admittedly I only post of garden creatures, and, although I've got great tangles of slow worms, I don't want to bore folk with images of them.
Because of the GCN/s in the pond I can't do any night photography thereCry
So yes, like you Keith I love all the reports, but people have their reasons. The weather hasn't helped!

Suz
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

although I've got great tangles of slow worms, I don't want to bore folk with images of them.

i wouldn't worry about that, I love seeing what others are encountering, i see so little in the way of anything around here - haven't seen a slow worm in years - that it is just nice to know they are still around
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 10:53am
Hi,  I have a corner of the garden left unkempt, where slow worms live and I have a plastic rug, where they congregate to warm up.  I've seen them for years, and today I saw one moving through the 'other' part of the garden.  I would like to know if slow worms go 'home' or do they wander and sleep where ever they roam?
Camerart.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 8:22pm
Given that slowworms are so good at being cryptic I think it's maybe more likely that they exist in other parts of your garden and that you have spotted one of these.  They can move around in search of mates, prey etc but I don't think they tend to forage in one place and then return to a particular refuge somewhere else, I guess because slugs tend to be found pretty much wherever they are.  On the other hand, I don't know if anyone has ever really investigated slowworm movements in a scientific way and I could well be wrong - would make an interesting study!
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 8:00am
Hi W,
I may try a study.  Do you think that the different slow worms will be able to be spotted by their markings, or will they need marking in some way, i,e, felt tip.  Is this ok to do.
C.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic