the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kitchen lino as experimental refugia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kitchen lino as experimental refugia
    Posted: 17 Sep 2006 at 1:56pm

The kitchen lino which I used as experimental refugia has been down so far for 9 days.   I checked all 4 pieces today and under one was a juvenile Slowworm.   

So it proves it works for slowworms at least- I have piccies of said animal which I may post later.  I have another 3 or 4 more pieces to put down which I will do this week, along with 3 Coroline refuges.

Any further reptiles recorded under the lino will be posted on this thread.

Mark

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2006 at 2:55pm

Almost any material which is lying in long grass would produce reptiles - though carpet tiles tend to be too soggy -

I have been finding felt tiles working well for slowworms in closed (almost) canopy woodland!

Regards

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2006 at 2:56pm

Yesterday Felt out performed Tin (slowworms) by a long way - adult and juvenile lizards were found on top of felt or under tin

I have comparison humidity readings and temperatures to post here soon

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2006 at 3:36pm

We are also capturing good numbers of slow-worms from woodland areas at the moment. I wonder how much the long dry summer has to do with this Jon? On our site they appear almost absent from areas that were drought afffected but where they were present during spring survey.

For slow-worms, placing refugia in shaded areas can often work suprisingly well. We have had some nice results with a mixture of Gutta and flat felts recently, I would say 50/50 for each material but the flat felts will sometimes produce when the Gutta is still a little cool in a given session.

arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2006 at 3:55pm

I'm also finding quite a few under wood at the moment and quite a few a juveniles.  I saw a long and narrow bit of wood by the lineside of the railway north of Petersfield(I was there in the course of my work).  I lifted it up and there were 3 juv. slowworms underneath it.

Well it's nice to start a discussion about the merits of various materials as refugia.     At the site where the lino is, apart from that and the Coroline, I will be also putting down several roofing felt refugia.       It is beneficial that this site is totally private and the chances of the refugia getting trashed is very slim so I can afford to experiment.   The only thing i have to ensure is that the refugia does not constitute a tripping hazard.

Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 3:46pm
I've found that unless you use small tin's then felt seems to be prefered by slow worms at least. And like lino tiles thay are easy to carry.

Danial
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic