the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

January Sand Lizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January Sand Lizard
    Posted: 21 Jan 2004 at 11:05pm
on 21st January 1999 we had a juv. out _the species now recorded in the Weald for every month except December. It appeared on a rabbit warren at the base of a large birch during a task on an MOD site in Hampshire.
Astonishingly, a Great Grey Shrike was in presence, despite the noise of chain saws and it being harrassed by a Chaffinch and Great Tit for most of the day. It was observed hunting near ground level, presumably for bumblebee's _a few of which were seen on the wing, which prompted us to keep an eye on the 'hatchling birch' all day.

Stephen Moss touches on this species _largest of the European shrikes, in his book 'Birds and Weather' (1995, Hamlyn). In the final chapter, 'Climate change and . . . the future', he says that ''there seems no obvious reason why the species does not breed in Britain'', making it ''a prime contender for future colonisation, and indeed one summered in Suffolk in 1991''.

Food for thought.

John
kadry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kadry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 9:06pm

dear forum

my name is dr.kadry(faculity of science cairo university) and i preparing now the master in ecology about life and reproduction of agama stellio and i knew that you are interesting in this study so i want your experience in this field to help me to obtain any papers related th this study. if possible send me on my email adress and i want also to participate with you in study of agama stellio history as it is very facinating reptilian animal and i want to know more about this animal........

please do not hissitate to conntact me if you agree..........

dr.kadry:-zoology department

Edited by kadry
kadry
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:17pm
Hi Kandry, I beleive the species you're to study is now classified as Laudakia stellio. I'm not really a lizard person but if you need to confirm we have a couple a picture here:

(®Tristan Poyser)

My collegue, Tristan, has spent quite a while observing a subspecies (L. stellio daani?) on Ikaria. He can be contacted at tristan@onewildworld.co.uk and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions he can if you eMail him.

Best of luck with your studies, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
Matt Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:29pm
Kadry,

I have worked alot with Laudakia stellio from keeping them in captivity and studying the introduced populations on Corfu.

I would be interested to hear about your work.

Matt.wilson02@btopenworld.com

Matthew Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic