the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Newt
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is newt spawn always laid away from frog spawn?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is newt spawn always laid away from frog spawn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is newt spawn always laid away from frog spawn?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 2:08pm

Do newts lay their spawn well away from frog spawn and at what level in the water is newt spawn? (Don’t know much about newts myself. ) I’m asking cos at my local golf course pond there was a huge mass of frog spawn and a smaller clump of spawn at the other end and some baddie pulled that small clump out and all the baby tadpoles in it died. I wondered after if that was this years population of newts cos there’s always newts in there, I see them swimming and have seen small ones emerging out. I don’t wanna be mean towards frogs but I hope it was just normal frog spawn that got murdered cos there was plenty of that this year, hope the newt population hasn’t been affected.

Oh BTW, I’ve talked about the golf course pond umpteen times on this site before and never showed a picture cos I thought I didn’t have any but I recently found some old rubbish ones so thought I’d share them….

The pond.

Baby froglets often die by getting baked in the sun on the concrete sides. It’s a bit tricky for them to get out of there cos there’s a lip but if they go to the far end they can escape.

Last years frogspawn. There was more this year.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 2:45pm
Newts don't lay spawn Sue.

The female wraps each individual egg laid in a single leaf under the water line. 

So no need to worry, it was likely frog spawn.

Not got a picture of a newt egg wrapped in a leaf to hand, maybe someone has one so you can see how newt eggs are laid.

Edited by GemmaJF - 28 Apr 2011 at 2:46pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 4:27pm

Thanks Gemma. Ben’s sorted me out with a newt egg pic now. Obviously was lone frog spawn.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic