the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Damselfly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish Damselfly
    Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 8:25pm
As I neared the end of the UK list for dragonflies and damselflies the "problem" of the Irish damselfly became more prominent. I casually introduced it into conversation with my girlfriend Caroline but it seemed to pass  unnoticed, I sat there with my brain working overtime, it was either now or wait un til next year due to work requirements. I mentioned it again later and she said OK.
A long drive from South Wales to Stranraer, an overnight stay in the van and then we were on the ferry to Belfast. A 35 minute drive later and we were parked in a small layby next to an old peat extraction area, next to us was a car, in fact a hire car, and that could only mean one thing, someone else was here looking for the damselfly!
 I put the kettle on for a coffee and waited for the clouds to clear, the kettle to boil and the car driver to return. He soon turned up and told us that he had seen several of them in the first pond, a quick chat, a cup of coffee and off we went. True to his word we found them immediatley along with several Four spot chasers and also 2 frogs beneath some tin.
The mission was a success so we spent a few days doing the tourist stuff ,drinking Bushmills whiskey in the town of Bushmills and visiting the Giants causeway before making our long way home. This just leaves the Dainty Damselfly to complete the list and we are off to Kent on June 11th to see that one.

sotonsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sotonsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 10:26am
Lovely photos.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic