the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identification required!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identification required!
    Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 8:20pm

The snake shown has taken up residence in the waste pipe from the kitchen sink. It shows no inclination to leave (I assume it's a nice warm spot) despite getting washed out regularly into the back gully. Knowing nothing about snakes I checked out the identification pages on this site, but I'm not sure I'm any the wiser. Suggestions please?

I also need to know what to do with it, as before too long it may find itself in the middle of a building site!

Rob_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 8:24pm

Here it is close to its favourite spot:

Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 8:39pm
Looks to me like an African House snake. Lamprophis fuliginosus.

Martin.
Rob_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 9:12pm

What's the best thing to do with it?

Matt Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 9:32pm
Rob,

As this snake is generally docile it would be a good idea to place it into a container and store somewhere warm (near a radiator) and get in touch with someone. This would stop it from going somewhere were it would be in danger of being killed. You say you don't know much about snakes, it depends whether or not you are willing to handle it, or even move it with a stick into a container for the time being.

I have handled many house snakes and never had an aggressive reaction yet, as they are becoming quite a popular pet these days.
Rob_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 9:38am

Thanks for the info guys. It seems fairly docile, I guess not least because it's getting fairly cool round our part of West Oxfordshire now. No problem about getting it into some sort of container. Matt - any suggestions for a "someone" to get in touch with?

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 9:41am
Agree with ID and advice. Don't put it too close to a radiator, though - most snakes can handle a spot of cold more easily than overheating, which could happen if you put it somewhre overly hot. Room temperature (~20 deg C) will be adequate in the short term.

The snake is totally harmlles, and even if it did bite, it would inflict no more than a few scratches. A guinea pig could to a lot more damage.

If you are still concerned about handling it, flush it out of its usual hiding spot and chase it into a lunch box or similar. It can't jump or anything like that, so oyu would be quite safe.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 9:51am

Rob, regards who to contact, try Froglife on,

Tel: 01986 873733

(mention the snake has been positively identified on here and what it is)

They may have someone local who can come out. Else, it's down to the RSPCA if they are willing to help or finding a local hobbyist able to take the animal on.

Edited by administrator
Rob_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 10:16am
Thanks all for the advice. I'll let you know the outcome.
Rob_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 11:36am

David - I'm in West Oxfordshire, betwixt Oxford & Witney.

Rob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic