the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Think The Chavs Are Gonna Kill My Spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:11am

I studied my spawn hard yesterday and I think lalchitri is right, the tadpoles at the top of the spawn have gotten bigger now and are more long so they probo have hatched and are sunbathing on top of the spawn. ItÆs hard to tell if theyÆre still in jelly or on top but I do think theyÆre lying on top now. My spawn didnÆt die! The baby tadpoles have lived through chav attacks and ice!

Originally posted by David Bird David Bird wrote:

Just seen this post and a quick reply about pond invertebrates, why do pond owners never seem to be able to identify what invertebrates they have in their pond especially as they are the most numerous in terms of species and very important part of the habitat.

I blame the parents. I blame the teachers. My granddad was right good at pointing at things and telling me what they were and trying to get me to remember what they are when I was littler. When I stayed over at his house heÆd make me write a list of all the things IÆd learned from that day. He taught me about trees and plants and neighbours. I bet if he hadnÆt have died he could have taught me about pond life too. It sucks that old people get so old that they die, I wish theyÆd stay around forever, IÆd be so much more cleverer.

There are just over a dozen species of leeches in this country and only a few are parasitic and rarely found in garden ponds most are carnivorous feeding on small invertebrates especially molluscs,

What are molluscs?

they are also long and thin in shape when stretched out with an obvious sucking disc at either end.

If I find a leech IÆm gonna try and look for that sucking disc, it sounds interesting.

The shape on the leaf, colour and size is either a tadpole which usually when newly hatched like to hang down in the water from a plant surface or lie on the floor of the pond or more likely a flatworm or Planarian which glides across the surface of the pond bottom or leaf surfaces, these predate on small insect larvae or crustaceans but are often seen on frog spawn clumps. The Observers book of Pond Life is reasonably priced and good enough for the maajority of life in a garden pond.

I never thought about getting a book about pondlife before! I guess I could do that or ask for it as a present. IÆm not into reading lots of words especially if itÆs all technical confusing talk but IÆd like a book with lots of photos.

Originally posted by tim-f tim-f wrote:

I can't help but ask, does the Observer's Book of "Pond Life" cover "chavs"?  

I donÆt want to read about chavs. I donÆt want nothinÆ to do with chavs. Some older lad chavs were making fun out of me last night making gribbeting noises when I was out with my bucket. Chavs are common. Chavs are not nice. My Old Cousin Valerie in Paris has got a new hobby though, she goes out with a camera chav snapping and shows us her photos on a Robbie site. France have chavs just like us.

Originally posted by Vicar Vicar wrote:

Link for Sue...
http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/green-frog-girl-jr-ringer -tshirt/61135773

I love it! I love it! Are you gonna buy it me?! YouÆre old arenÆt you? Old people on the internet buy me things, you gonna get it for me? My Nana Holdol made me up a tee-shirt, the frog on it is the avator I use on most Robbie sites. Nana is a thoughtful old lady with bags of cash but it donÆt matter if youÆre poor Vicar cos I accept presents from people living off benefits too.

(BTW itÆs awfully difficult taking a photo of yourself when youÆve got a wibbly wobbly rubbery frog on your shoulder. )

Edited by Baby Sue
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Baby Sue Baby Sue wrote:

it donÆt matter if youÆre poor Vicar cos I accept presents from people living off benefits too

how touching

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:15am

Well itÆs be rude to not accept right?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 6:03am

Is that a no for the t-shirt then Vicar? Poor me. Look what my Mummy Jue-Jue sent me for Easter though.  

She doesnÆt have a credit card but she scrimped for all that and the ú6.55 postage! I ainÆt never had an egg as big as that before either. & look at those bunnies. I ainÆt started on them yet, theyÆre so cute. The truffley eggs are gone now though. Oh boy my Mummy Jue-Jue sure loves me.

Edited by Baby Sue
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 6:21am

My dad is a hoarder and I asked him last night if he has a book on pondlife in amongst his great many books and he said yes! 2 copies the same! So IÆll be getting one when he next comes my way (he lives far away).

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 4:54pm

@sue

i was in llandudno the other day and saw this shop:

http://www.coast963.co.uk/photoWallPhoto.asp?wallid=47874

also thought you might like this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfF5HEpli8

tim

AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 4:51pm

Further on to Tims post here's their Web page

http://www.thefrogshop.co.uk/

Afraid nothing on it yet Baby Sue

Tony Oscroft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Oscroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 6:10pm
As for them chavs with the football.... next time they kick the ball into your garden think of your frogs and smile.... be nice to the chavs... offer to fetch them their ball... and carry a dart with you ... oh and yes....I am old
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 7:48am

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

@sue

i was in llandudno the other day and saw this shop:

http://www.coast963.co.uk/photoWallPhoto.asp?wallid=47874

Further on to Tims post here's their Web page

http://www.thefrogshop.co.uk/

Afraid nothing on it yet Baby Sue

SOMEBODY TAKE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I wanna goooo!!!! Take me. Take me please.

Tim when you went did you buy me anything?

Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

also thought you might like this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfF5HEpli8

tim

Letty ainÆt no real froggie fan.

Originally posted by Tony Oscroft Tony Oscroft wrote:

As for them chavs with the football.... next time they kick the ball into your garden think of your frogs and smile.... be nice to the chavs... offer to fetch them their ball... and carry a dart with you ... oh and yes....I am old

But what if they be mean back to me on purpose? What if they come into my garden one day with a rolling pin and splatter one of my sunbathing frogs and throw it against my window?! Or what if they tell their mummies and I get an angry old lady shouting at me?!   Would you like to offer to come round and do the honours instead?

PS. I need some of them Frog Shop coat hangers bad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic