the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hundreds of reptiles killed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hundreds of reptiles killed
    Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:29am
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38923974@N07/sets/
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 6:27am
sad news.

Nick Moulton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Moulton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 5:28am

Just to clarify; main points put to media. Fire-brigade did well to stop fire. National Trust had good Fire-Brigade access routes and fire-breaks. c.90%+ reptiles killed by fire/smoke/loss of habitat. Of the surviving a few snakes will get to un-burnt habitats. Sand lizards usually remain with their burrows in burnt area. c.20 years for habitat for habitat to recover, another 20 years for reptile population to recover. 10 out of 13 sand lizards seen were caught and relocated to unburnt habitats adjacent to fire to allow for population recovery. In this particular instance very limited numbers of other reptiles seen either live/dead.

During the last 15 years with the more vigorous Fire-Brigade, Police and wardening responses the situation has slightly improved. Active support from herpetologists helps. Media certainly highlights the problems for reptiles (previously heath fires not taken very seriously) though misquotes, quotes out of context can be common. Don't think I'll get the Head of Media/Communication job !

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:07am
Welcome to the forum Nick !, and cheers for the additional detail.

That cuppa is still on offer when you're next up Wealdon way!

Steve
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:15am
Having just read Borises tab I never realised parts of my favourite spots in Studland had had abad fire until 2day I feel real sad about this. But the problem with this bit of declining habitat is the car and camper vans that park the whole length of Ferry road both sides that has over the years has erode the habitat to dwindling colonies of La, that once were so prolific on the verges on the road  you could not walk a few yards without seeing them alas no more , the NT and council should put double yellow lines on the whole length of ferry road with no stopping inforced  but provide sensible car parks they could employ me as a parking warden for the herp season . Access to the beaches and sand dune should be by foot only this would help the declining wild life and the lazy obese populaton  .Keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
cheesy toes6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheesy toes6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 6:49am
tgat must feel bad dude like i felt to me when some reeds set on fire in the water at my local ecology park loads of great crested newts died.
lwww
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic