the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Common are Red frogs in England?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 11:42pm
Hi there
We would love to see pictures of your red frog.

To upload your picture firstly please make sure it is no larger than 1 Mb. (this can be quickly and easily achieved by resizing it to a maximum dimension of 1000 pixels using the software that came with your camera)

Make sure you know where it is saved on your computer and then reply to this post.

In your reply click on the last but one icon in the top row of icons above the window you type in. It has a little picture of a tree with a blue upward pointing arrow. Simply click on that icon and in the pop-up dialog box, browse to the picture on your computer and click on [OK].

And that's it!  Look forward to hearing from you.

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:28pm
hi all,

heres a reddish one i saw in the garden recently;

among the 100+ adults that came to breed in my urban ponds this year there were 2 or 3 thus coloured. one individual in particular was very noticeably ruddy.

isnt it just that the common frog is quite variable in markings/colour?

i thought mynewt hit the nail on the head when he wondered aloud whether red or otherwise strikingly coloured frogs are born just as frequently in the "wild" (however you define THAT) but are simply more likely to succumb to predators there due to their increased visibility.

i think thats all it is.

ok there are more cats in towns but the range and tally of natural predators is hugely reduced, refugia, worms etc in back gardens are abundant and frogs like wet nights which felines mostly avoid.
frogs do well in these environments.

i dont go with the genetic isolation theory.

even in cities frogs are highly mobile and often travel in the dead of night when traffic is much lower. a few leaps and theyre over a main road or safe from a cat. they get about anywhere.
females are known to "home in" on the smell of algal blooms in new ponds from distance and head for them as good places with food stores for their tadpole broods. males also call of course. so new ponds and other colonies "call" frogs in and theres often someone digging a fresh pond somewhere near you. they are popular garden features.
i see them all the time when visiting properties in my duties as a postman.
youd have to have a motorway around you to keep rana out. they even live underground in sewers- ive seen them
there myself.
EG rauk member kevb dug a tiny pond in his garden. only around 2'sq. right in stroud town centre and surrounded by high fencing, car parks and busy roads.

NEXT DAY there were frogs in it.

god knows where from.

another reason i disagree that red frogs result from in-breeding is that my pond is only 10 years old and i sourced my original frogspawn from several sites (in a bid to offset future genetic isolation risk) and as i said ive noted a couple of reds. also, ones with dark patches like in your pic. though less so.

surely its too soon to see signs of G Isolation?

ben

smooth newts range in appearance here a bit too. some are very dark, others light and spotty.
the most variable brit newt.

Edited by ben rigsby
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:32pm
I've always found weak and docile frogs hiding regularly in my pond.
The real stallions only appear in March and then disappear.
Reformed Teetotaller
chad0x001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chad0x001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:37pm
Here are a couple of frogs we found in our garden today. one red, one green. Have better quality images on camera if anyone wants to see more. Have their bellies etc :D

err, cant seem to upload a photo. When I click the insert image link it shows me a preview page but no uploader :/ help?
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 5:54pm
We would love to see pictures of your frogs.

To upload your picture firstly please make sure it is no larger than 1 Mb. (this can be quickly and easily achieved by resizing it to a maximum dimension of 1000 pixels using the software that came with your camera)

Make sure you know where it is saved on your computer and then reply to this post - ensure you use the "Post Reply" option at bottom left of the thread.

In your reply click on the more or less central icon in the top row of icons above the window you type in. It has a little picture of a tree. Simply click on that icon and in the pop-up dialog box, use the "Choose" button to browse to the picture on your computer and click on [Upload].

The picture will appear in a list above these buttons. Select it and it will appear in the preview window to the left. Then click on [OK] below this and it will be isnerted into your post.

And that's it! Look forward to hearing from you.

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:57am
I mentioned the possible cause of red frogs being due to inbreeding in another post. I had read this somewhere but could not remember where, although i had thought it was T Beebee's Frogs and Toads book. Can you remember in what publication you saw this? 
Cheers in advance
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:08pm
Last year i had two red frogs. This year i have seen at least four. They all seem to be female. I understand the colour comes from where they have hibernated.

Edited by sandy - 21 Feb 2012 at 10:17pm
frog friend
GinnyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GinnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:01pm
I can send you pictures of a red frog I took today (26.2.2012) if you would like it, Chris, but I can't see an icon with a tree and an arrow. Would you like to send me an email to ginnyjilly@hotmail.com?
atb, Gillian
Ginny
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:48pm
If you click this icon  then the full reply window will open, which includes the icon with a tree   which you click to upload an image.
GinnyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GinnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 12:56pm
I can now see the tree but can't upload the photo.  Sorry to be so computer-illiterate;  I am the wrong side of 65 for all this stuff.  As I had expected, I found the red frog dead in the pond yesterday.  Ginny
Ginny
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic