the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herps in Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yashca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Herps in Dorset
    Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:55pm
I am visiting Dorset during the second week of April. I have been to Dorset a few times before, and whilst I have enjoyed some herp-related success, I am hoping this year to out-do my previous attempts.

The trouble I seem to face in Dorset is that I seem to be able to find decent numbers of reptiles, but only as long as they are the same species that I can find back home in Yorkshire, i.e. Adders, Grass Snakes, Slow Worms & Viviparous Lizards, and I never have any luck with the extremely desirable Smooth Snake or Sand Lizard. In part, I put this down to having no experience with those species, never having seen one, and partly down to not knowing the key areas, as I don't live anywhere near the area. 

In truth, however, I assume it is more to do with me not being particularly good at finding things.

The notable exception to this rule is Wall Lizard, which I have seen in copious numbers at Boscombe, but then I have been spurned by its introduced room-mate, the Green Lizard, at every attempt.

I am not going to insult anyone on here by asking for specific sites and places to look for these reptiles, as I understand the necessity in keeping these sites out of the public domain. 

I will, however, ask if anyone on the forum is planning on doing any survey work or recreational herping in the second week in April, and wouldn't mind a couple of herp-starved enthusiasts from the North tagging along, then please let me know. I would be eternally grateful. I could even compose a dreadful song in your honour.

On a slightly related note, I wondered if there were any populations of introduced amphibians that could possibly be seen in Dorset. Up here in Yorkshire we get Alpine Newt & Marsh Frog, but not much else. Any sites for Pool Frog, Edible Frog, feral terrapins, Midwife Toad, etc., etc., would be gratefully appreciated, but once again, I can understand the necessity in keeping certain sites quiet.

Thank you for reading.

arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 2:44pm
The Green Lizards can be tricky at times to find and there has been 1 or 2 occasions I haven't seen any.   Most of my sightings of them have been at the top of the cliff, in and around the various gorse bushes that are there.

As for smooth snake and sand lizards, I would suggest contacting the ARC trust see if they can assist you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic