the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with testing new online records form

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with testing new online records form
    Posted: 03 Mar 2005 at 7:00pm

This is about the fifth time I've made this posting, hopefully it will make sense this time.

There is an evaluation copy of the on-line submission form at:

http://www.kentarg.org/record_submission_form_v01.htm

I would appreciate it if members could try the form out (make up the records as they will not be processed). In particular test the file upload facility. (make sure you are using this evaluation copy for testing or I will get very very confused)

Any errors please report them on this thread.

If you enter a valid email address in the form, it will send you a copy of the email it generates. This will be useful for any one who is interested in the form to judge its effectiveness and also to check that your file uploads worked.

The prize for the first error report posted is a years free subscription to the RAUK forum...

Oh and there is a Poll above so that you can rate the form after using it.

Thanks for your time.

(edit number 6, after 10 days of coding I think I'll take tomorrow off)

Edited by administrator
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 8:06am
Gemma,

With regard to acceptable files. What about if somebody wants to send several files and choses to zip them first. Is .zip allowable??

Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 9:24am
Great minds and all that, Mervyn suggested ZIP last night. I will add it to my list for the final version.
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 9:42am
Zips are usually regarded as ok, here's the but.
They can be made auto executable, not a problem on the server but when it is then downloaded elsewhere, especially if it contains malware.
Possible problem if the zip contents break the acceptable usage policy, does the policy cover that?.
You will need to quarantine files on upload and run a malware / virus / contents checker on them.
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 12:18pm

Thanks Caleb, very useful comments indeed. Anyone know where I can find a full list of UK counties? I couldn't find one on the net.

Mike, once we have all the if's and but's I'll email dziner and get them to give me a statement on the acceptable use policy i.e. to confirm that my extension list is OK.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 12:54pm

PS the reply to address is for the evaluation version so that folks can see the sort of emails generated, i.e. it is for recorders who might use the form, hence the reply address is that of the person submitting the form, if that makes any sense.

The final version will send a properly formatted confirmation email to the user at their request.

Edited by administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 1:50pm

Caleb, would this make the time field easier?

GMT (check box)  BST  (check box)  Not sure (check box)

I could then run a code that converts not sures into GMT if the date field is complete.

By the way how would most recorders want the time info as GMT or not really bothered?

(it easy to remember which is GMT and which is BST, BST is when it doesn't matter if you get up an hour late because really it is an hour earlier than what the clocks say....)

Edited by administrator
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 2:08pm
Gemma,

It's important that time data is specified as either BST or GMT (preferably). Unless you specify BST or GMT, any time information attached to a record is useless.

However, I think that for the type of record entry that an online form is likely to attract, time information may be unnecessary. I think that the same is true for weather data as well. The folks who record detailed data on their observations are far better off filling in a spreadsheet/database type form. I imagine the web form is more likely to attract the casual recorder who has found a slow-worm in their garden or seen frogspawn in their local pond.

My advise would be to keep it as simple as possible.
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 2:27pm

Lee,

The latest version (PLEASE dont use this one for tests people!!!) is at:

http://www.kentarg.org/record_submission_form_v02.htm

To be honest if it gets much more complicated I wouldn't bother with it myself. A web form is by its nature restrictive, i.e. how many times do experienced recorders only record a single species in a day?? It is best aimed at catching the occassional recorder as Lee has stated, this is while the file upload option has been developed so that folks can upload more detailed data in their own format.

So I would now ask, is the evaluation version the end of the line, or is the v02.htm still usuable or getting too complicated?

Thanks.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 11:21am

I'm removing the evaluation version from the KRAG site just to ensure people don't find it whilst browsing.

I've had the first member of the public send in a picture for ID, judging from their use of the form it should be a great success, filled in perfectly with a clear piccy for ID purposes :0)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic