the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with lizard identity, please...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanchadwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with lizard identity, please...
    Posted: 13 Aug 2006 at 2:48am

Last week, I was walking on Rhinog Fawr in North Wales at a height of around 600m.

I spotted a small lizard sat on a lump of stone. It was only around 50-60mm in length (including tail). The main body colour was dark brown, with rusty red stripe and rusty red spots. I was most surprised to see the creature as it was a fairly cold, damp and overcast day. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a photo. If this is a common species, please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot find any similar photos on any websites.

All help gratefully received.

Bryan.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2006 at 5:52am

Hi Bryan,

First thought would be common lizard as they are fairly variable in colouration, but the rusty red stripe and weather conditions makes me wonder if it could have been a newt, most are now terrestrial the breeding season largely being over (and certainly in the SE most of the ponds we usually monitor have dried up in any case!).

What was the approximate time of the sighting? Newts are usually only active after dusk though I have occassionally seen them out and about during the day on very overcast cool days.

bryanchadwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryanchadwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 3:17am

Thanks Gemma,

The time would have been around 14.00. Do you know of any photo galleries on the web, where I could check out photos of newts in their various guises and possibly get a definite identity?

Bryan.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic