the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with frog spawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with frog spawn
    Posted: 05 May 2004 at 1:10am
Our garden pond is about 12 years old and was designed with frogs in mind (no fish) and over the years has raised hundreds of new frogs. The Summer of 2002 was the best I've seen, our garden was alive with baby frogs. But last year (2003) was a disappointing disaster, over sixty adult frogs visited our pond in the early spring and clump after clump of frog spawn was laid but not one tadpole emerged. I had hoped that this was a one off, but this year it happened again (less adult frogs) and we haven't got one single tadpole. Because I suspected a problem with the pond water I removed two clumps of spawn and placed it in a bucket with clean water, to my amazement the spawn over a two week period dissolved into nothing. The remaining clumps of spawn which were left in the pond suffered the same fate. Please have you any idea what the problem can be, is there a disease or virus which the frogs may be carrying that may be the cause of our dying frog spawn ?      

From David Atkins, anyone any idea? David has also asked me if it would be worth introducing new blood to the population. I would consider this a possibility  just incase for some reason the population has become infertile. Thoughts anyone?

I should add that David has told me that the population originated from just 2 clumps of spawn introduced to the pond.

Edited by administrator
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 9:30am
Hi David ,
What Area of the UK are you in ? I'm in Ash Hants and have seen similar with the frogs in my pond. Like yourself 2002 was a great year for our frogs. But last year we had little spawn and very few tadpoles. This year all my early march mating pairs were found dead at the bottom of the pond for no apparent reason . However , a few weeks after this there were many more frogs in the pond but they produced hardly any spawn .

Most Odd,
Alan
dave atkins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave atkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 6:17pm

Hello Alan,

I'm in Derby, this has been a strange Spring when ever the weather was mild the frogs started to mate then there would be a cold snap and they would stop, if I remember right this happend on two or three occasions. I wonder if the weather could be the cause of your dead mating pairs ? I did not see any dead frogs in my pond but it sure effected their natural beeding clock and the spawn came late in comparison to previous years.

Dave Atkins
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2004 at 9:38am
Hi David,

Yeah, you could be right there . Though I did notice that this first batch of frogs were not the healthiest looking . Many were skinny , and two had missing limbs .They probably were not strong enough .

Cheers,
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic