the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hedgehogs - a good or bad thing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hedgehogs - a good or bad thing?
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:35pm
Not that i would ever want to discourage them as i think they are sweet, if a little noisy, but this year seems to have brought a bumper number of hedgehogs to my garden - well, either a lot of them or one that has a pretty serious stomach bug as i am judging numbers by the amount of 'poo' left on the grass Embarrassed

The pond is currently swarming with tadpoles, hopefully many will live to maturity, but i was wondering whether the froglets will form a big part of the hedgehogs diet? I certainly don't seem to have had as many frogs spawning this year - i would say numbers were down at least 50% which is worrying as it was a mild winter - could this be a result of hedgehog predation? I always thought hedgehogs lived mainly on slugs, worms, beetles etc, and i can't remember the last time i saw a slug in the garden so they are doing their job well, but would they take froglets and adults?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:44pm
they are opportunistic and will certainly chew their way through a good number of frogs especially as they are active at the same time and in the same habitat.  Given the rapid decline in hedgehogs I'd be prepared to sacrifice a few frogs though; I haven't seen one in my garden for a decade or so.
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 7:12pm
i only occasionally see them in the garden, usually it is the noise that alerts me to their presence, but this year the garden is full of their droppings - i am trying to leave the garden as 'wild' as possible and the previously barren edges are starting to get taken over by weeds. I also put down some plastic tunnels and covered them in compost so i guess they may have encouraged wildlife into the garden for winter.

I guess, like you say, sacrificing a few of my many frogs would be nice if it helps the 'hogs...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic