the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hatched Already?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 12:29am

Jon hi,

Ok, take a for instance: It generally is accepted (maybe not by you?) that female Grass Snakes mate once every two years - biennial.

Ok then, if the females were being left unfertilized in the spring of the years in which they were supposed to breed because they could not find a mate - ie; that in local breeding groups the populations had been reduced to a point where interaction was non-existent / minimal, then it stands to reason that when a mating opportunity arose, the female will take it, irrespective as to whether the season was autumn - and the reason for this is so that the sperm can be stored.

I'm not saying it is usual - far from it, but what I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe, we are witnessing a natural response to imposed conditions. Nature does this all the time, it is basic - like mass migration in response to the oncoming of winter or seasonal diets. The animals do not start migrating when the cold weather has arrived do they?? Well, do they?? No. They anticipate the arrival because it is written in their DNA.

Therefore, it follows that if the snakes notice that food is becoming scarce in the late summer / autumn periods - an automatic in-built DNA response COULD BE to ensure an early start for their eggs.

In answer to your question - I have not personally heard of any obviously gravid Garss Sanke being found at hibernation sites in late autumn BUT, if the female had only released stored sperm to the eggs as they were about to enter hibernation, how would you know?? Xray them? Kill them and examine the remains perhaps? Of course not.

It is conjecture. But what is not in doubt that neos are being found in June that are 150mm ish. I have found several myself of this size. Explain that - and please do not suggest that they were born small the previous year, because if that were the case, professionals such as yourself would be turning up neos that were maybe as small as 120mm at hatching!!! have you??? I think not.

Cheers

Rob 

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 12:36am

PS;

and global warming. It may well be the case that "globally" a shift of the Earth's axis is altering weather patterns so that "globally" mean weather temperatures are higher - I am not disputing that.

What I would dispute is the overall knock on effects SO FAR in this country - answer nil. Last winter was the coldest for 27 years Jon, 27 years. In 2007 we had the wettest year on record, that is since records began - and hey, don't you find it cooler when its raining?

It may be warming elsewhere, but you can't pin that onto the altered behaviour of Grass Sankes over here in the UK. Nah mate, it is down to the dwindling supplies of everything, stop looking under tins and see the truth around you.

Cheers

Rob 

RobV
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 3:08pm

Hi Rob

How specifically are you suggesting grass snake behaviour is altering?

Regards

Stuart

Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:12am

This may be of interest .... a quote from a polish research paper in 2006

HIGH JUVENILE MORTALITY OF GRASS SNAKES NATRIX NATRIX ON A SUBURBAN ROAD

CIESIOLKIEWICZ, ORLOWSKI and ELZANOWSKI1

The majority of grass snakes are known to hatch toward the end of August (Juszczyk 1987, Głnther and V÷lkl 1996, Luis elli et al. 1997) and thus the hatchling mortality should peak late in the summer (Bonnet et al. 1999). This makes the observed high (ca. 30%) hatchling mortality throughout the season of 2003 (Fig. 3) unexpected. In particular, the late spring mortality peak with the high contribution of hatchlings suggests a high frequency of spring hatching which is hitherto known to occur only sporadically in the grass snake (Juszczyk 1987). With the incubation period of about two months, the spring hatching necessitates either laying in the early spring or egg wintering.

Since the pregnancy period is again about two months, the early spring laying would in turn necessitate the autumn mating, which was frequently observed (Głnther and V÷lkl 1996, Kabis ch 1999), and delayed fertilization (amphigonia retardata), which is known to occur in the grass snake (Kabisch 1999). Whatever the mechanism of extending the hatching period into the spring, it is likely to be facilitated by a combination of the global climate warming and the warm local climate of Lower Silesia. In Poland, the warming is marked by a significant increase (by 1.0 to 1.5ŚC) of the average winter and spring temperatures, which is accompanied by a slight cooling of the autumn (Kozuchowski 2003). The impact of the latter may be compensated by a high mean October temperature and the highest for Poland mean autumn temperature, both above 9ŚC for years 1971ű2000 (Lorenc 2005).

Unfortunately most of the papers referenced are not written in english and impossible to get hold of!

Edited by Mark_b
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:46am

Interesting stuff

However I believe that the assumption that because a snake is the same size in Spring as a neonate that it must of just hatched is misguided.

From my own observations of egg laying/hatching on man made manure based breeding heaps and witnessed breeding/brumation behaviour of adult snakes in captivity then I think it far more likely that these young snakes are from the previous year and that they have just not yet eaten enough to put on significant weight or length.

As regards the above paper the peak in mortality in Spring surely only proves thats when the young snakes are on the move and not when they hatched? 

Regards

Stuart

Edited by stuart
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by stuart stuart wrote:

Interesting stuff

However I believe that the assumption that because a
snake is the same size in Spring as a neonate that it
must of just hatched is misguided.

From my own observations of egg laying/hatching on man
made manure based breeding heaps and witnessed
breeding/brumation behaviour of adult snakes in captivity
then I think it far more likely that these young snakes
are from the previous year and that they have just not
yet eaten enough to put on significant weight or
length.

As regards the above paper the peak in mortality in
Spring surely only proves thats when the young snakes are
on the move and not when they hatched??

Regards

Stuart

I completely agree with that as that is what I am
thinking. The animals have not grown from when they
hatched the year previous - now what could have caused a
lack of food and activity during the spring this year?

The coldest winter/spring for 27 years perhaps?
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:29pm

Stu / Jon hi,

I would like you to think about what you have said and reason it out.

Take a human baby. In order to keep it alive (ie; to prevent starvation), it requires a given amount of calorie / energy / food input, yes? Do you agree?

Right. Babies of any species that do not receive enough of this develop malnutrition and die.

But; if they receive the very minimum sufficient enough to keep them alive, they grow!! It might not be as much as a well fed baby, but a one year old is always greater in dimension than a one month old, unless that is, it had died.

I'm sorry guys logic says you are wrong. A neo Grass Snake that is one year old will never be 158mm or less, impossible, it would be dead. And as for the coldest winter in 27 years being responsible - how? They are in hibernation for that period?

I'm surprised at you Jon, I would have thought logic must play a large part of your studies?

Cheers guys.

Rob 

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by stuart stuart wrote:

Interesting stuff

However I believe that the assumption that because a snake is the same size in Spring as a neonate that it must of just hatched is misguided.

From my own observations of egg laying/hatching on man made manure based breeding heaps and witnessed breeding/brumation behaviour of adult snakes in captivity then I think it far more likely that these young snakes are from the previous year and that they have just not yet eaten enough to put on significant weight or length.

As regards the above paper the peak in mortality in Spring surely only proves thats when the young snakes are on the move and not when they hatched? 

Regards

Stuart

Stu,

within three hours of hatching the neo Grassies would have dispersed from the incubation site. That obviously involves travel away from sites, and it would explain peaks in mortality.

R

RobV
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 9:12pm

Hi Rob

Nothing personal but I'm afraid I disagree with your analogy and logic.

"Take a human baby. In order to keep it alive (ie; to prevent starvation), it requires a given amount of calorie / energy / food input, yes? Do you agree?"

-Well of course I agree,however,a comparison between the homeostatic requirements of a human baby and a reptile is in my opinion irrelevant.If I remember correctly approx 80% of a mammals calorific requirements are to maintain body heat alone.Furthermore a human baby has little inherrant energy supply.Reptile neonates often have the remnants of an absobed yolk sac that could be used to sustain the animal through a period of brumation.

"But; if they receive the very minimum sufficient enough to keep them alive, they grow!!"

-I believe this is incorrect-it is possible to acquire enough calories to maintain bodyweight....growth is only possible when there is a surplus to maintain life.

"A neo Grass Snake that is one year old will never be 158mm or less,"

I believe the post brumation neonates are being found are approx six-eight months not a year old.

"within three hours of hatching the neo Grassies would have dispersed from the incubation site"

Rather a specific time to such a blanket statement that by its very nature has to be incorrect and misleading. I have found brumating neonates at the incubation sites in January. The heat from the composting process is no longer discernible. I think some hatchlings disperse rapidly,some do not.It is this variation in individuals behavior within a species that allows them to survive and exploit new and varying conditions.

And I stand by what I said in my previous post that the peak in mortality on the road only proves that snakes are moving and nothing more.

Sorry for such a long post

Regards

Stuart

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:46pm
Now Rob

I hope you are taking notes, I do not need to answer your
post thanks to Stuart's excellent reply.

Jon
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic