the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Wildlife Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand building a clay pond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:34pm
Thanks Will, generally I would be too lazy to do it also and was for several years, but I injured my back and doing stuff in the garden (and avoiding sitting down for anything other than short periods) has really been the best therapy for it possible. I'm almost afraid to stop in case the back and leg pains come back. At the start of the year it was a struggle to walk to the pond I was in so much pain and thoughts of renovating it seemed pretty fanciful.

Some fauna and flora pics from today:

Whirligig making ripples around the now emerged Water Mint

Greater Water Boatman

Brook Lime is up and away!

Also caught sight of a diving beetle, probably Common Black Diving Beetle but didn't get a good look (or a piccy) before it disappeared into the still rather murky water.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm
Looking good Gemma. Well done!
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 4:15pm
Glad to hear it was good therapy Gemma; digging my current pond literally gave me a hernia - and the b*gger is in the wrong place anyway!LOL
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:23pm
Sounds painful Will, probably best to just leave it in the wrong place Wink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:26am
I was going to wait until the spring to plant up the bog garden, but it looks so empty I succumbed this morning and ordered, bog bean, bog arum and Branched Bur-reed. 

I know Bog arum isn't a native, but it is naturalised locally and was growing naturally in the wildlife garden before I turned it into a building site whilst renovating the pond. Sadly it was situated where the new hedge is going to be and is unlikely to survive, so it seemed only right to buy some to plant in the bog garden.

Ordered again from Puddleplants (puddleplants.co.uk) who have provided an excellent service and quality of plants, would thoroughly recommend them. You sometimes get an extra one or two plants in the order too which I find a lovely touch in this day and age. Clap

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 4:10pm
Plants arrived for the bog garden today:

Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 10:19pm
great stuff gemma. love the pics. keep 'em coming :)

tim
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
Pond is full to the brim after rain Saturday and early this morning:

Grass is pushing up nicely, still very murky in there though!

Not sure of the species but we have a lot of little beetles that have appeared. They float on the surface along with the gnat larvae and dive down when disturbed. They are black and about 2 mm long.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:08am
Pond is overflowing this morning with more heavy rain overnight and this morning! Thought it best to leave it in overflow and see if that helps to reduce the nitrogen level after the initial fill with tap-water. I'm so excited about what spring will bring to the pond, I could almost burst Big smile
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:49pm
Imagine that day Gemma as you approach the pond and something swirls off...frog...newt...or you go out one morning and there is a clump of spawn, or maybe several! I think it is the sheer unpredictability of what might turn up that is so exciting. 
Wonderful!

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic