the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Lizards - again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenouillaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Lizards - again
    Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 1:47pm

Hello to everyone - like the reptiles themselves I've decided to come out of hibernation !!!

Actually I've been forced out by my wife who has insisted I post this photo (which she took this afternoon) as it is our first sighting of a 'greenie' this year.

One question though - I assumed from the width/breadth that this was an egg-bound female, I read from other posts that it's usually the male that has the blue under the throat - any suggestions?

As an aside we have found eggs laid in the same flowerbed this picture shows - do they usually come back to lay in the same spot?

Thanks

AB
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 2:09pm

nice pic...well done the missus!

does the body look wide because it has flattened itself out to maximise surface area exposed to the sun?

tim

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 2:46pm
What camouflage!
Suz
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:28pm
Hi.
Sorry so long to reply but I haven't logged on for a couple of months. The head shape/size suggest this is a female as well as the body. The blue is misleading. It is far from uncommon for females to have a pale blue tint to the throat as seen here. Typically a male with have a significantly brighter blue and it will expand on to the cheeks as well.
All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic