the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake scars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass snake scars
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:44am
Hi
Many of the adult Grass snakes that I find have these old scars on their bellies that seem to have healed. Any suggestions as to their cause?
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:36am
umbilical cord?
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

umbilical cord?
Thanks for your reply, but there are other similar scars further up the body, and some individuals have more than others.
liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 10:00am
looks like an appendectomy to me... 
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:10am
It does indeed look surgical, how odd
Mark_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:46am
I have seen numerous grass snakes with these 'scars'? Could it be some genetic mutation?
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Mark_b Mark_b wrote:

I have seen numerous grass snakes with these 'scars'? Could it be some genetic mutation?
 I suspect that they have been caused by some sort of physical injury that has healed. I wonder if they may have been caused by buzzards talons in failed attacks. I have queried their origin for a few years now and never really had any idea. Over the last three seasons a pair of nesting buzzards have moved in to a site that I observe and twice this week I have witnessed buzzards carrying live grass snakes to their nest site. Does anyone have any evidence/thoughts on whether they think this is likely to be the cause?
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:08pm
It sounds feasible. The talons may tear lengthways with the downward pull of gravity or as a result of a gravity influenced struggle when being carried off. Might explain the precise, surgical marks. It might be an idea to look out for any small puncture wounds associated with the scar, perhaps that have more quickly healed. Just an idea.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:37pm
Sliding over brambles I reckon
RobV
stuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

Sliding over brambles I reckon
They seem to have been too deep for that I think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic