the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake - PET?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkspotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass snake - PET?
    Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 1:11pm

Hi there,
Some days ago I was near a pond and caught 3 grass snakes. Having understood they are harmless, I was fascinated of the idea of breeding a snake at home. I got them with me in my house and now I have some questions about it.

1. I am curious to know how old are they if one is long about 45 cm and the other 2 are about 25 cm.

2. Am I right thinking that they let out that smell and hiss ONLY to defence when they are afraid of some factors? Although they are harmless, can they bite me or sorta? Or they can just hiss at me? :-D

3. How long they can stay out of water without any bad consequences for them?

4. How to make for them the best home and help them feeling comfortable in it? What they like and what not? Average temperature of the water? Accessories? (I know only about the big stone ;)

5. I have a problem... yesterday one of them managed to run away and it's SOMEWHERE in the house or out of it now. I do not know where is it. I am worried for it not to die... is there any way I can draw it to me???

6. How to differ which one's male and which is female? And when they are full grown, ready for reproduction?

Lot's of thanks in advance! ;)

Edited by Darkspotter
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 10:42pm

Firstly in my opinion grass snakes do not make good pets, I have kept them in the past and it can be done, but other species available through the pet trade such as corn snakes are much easier to keep successfully with little experience. In particular in can be extremely difficult to persuade wild caught Natrix natrix to take dead food such as frozen mice that are available commercially.

Regarding the cage, forget the water, they only need a bowl of it deep enough to immerse themselves, which they will only usually do before shedding their skins.

Keep the rest of the cage as dry as possible or there is a risk that blisters may form on the underbelly of the snakes. Ideally you would use a wooden vivarium with newspaper as substrate.

Pack the vivarium with sticks, I have found with Natrix that a vivarium with plenty of hiding places and perching spots is beneficial.

Provide a hot spot, it is best to use a form of under floor heating such as a heat mat rather than a bulb that the snakes may wrap themselves around. This will be used to increase body temperature both when digesting meals and prior to skin sloughing.

Normal room temperatures should be fine with the heat mat providing a few degrees of warmth above this.

It is unlikely that the snakes will breed successfully without a period of hibernation.

Finally, consider releasing these wild caught individuals and taking up the hobby of keeping reptiles with a species that is easier!

Darkspotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkspotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2004 at 1:18am

Hey Gemma Fairchild,
Thanks for the reply!
I do realise possible feeding troubles, but I think I will overcome them finding alive food for the snakes. As far as I know, in my country (Bulgaria) there are no laws that do not allow feeding my snakes with little fishes (guppy for example) or tubifex. So I think I will make use of it. As I see one of them would need no more than 2-3 guppy a month, right? Also I can catch some tadpoles or even frogs (though they seem to be really young to eat frogs).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic