the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake habitat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass snake habitat
    Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 3:31pm
I have just returned from an afternoon of trying to spot a grass snake on a local heath. The heath has an information board describing the different wildlife that exists there, it mentions Vivaporus lizards and Grass snakes. Call me old fashioned but I always thought that Grass snakes preffered dry sunny well vegetated banks near water. The above mentioned heathland is void of any water, and although I did manage to see around five vivap lizards, I saw nothing that rezembled anything like Grass snake territory, if anything it screamed Adder country. The majority of the heath is typical heather and rocks mixed with an abundance of bracken. Can anyone tell me if this is a rarity or is it common for Grass snakes to be far away from water in the middle of a heath around 300 mts above sea level?  Please help
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 4:07pm

Grassies are very mobile, I see them on dry heath whilst looking for adder often some distance from water. Bracken is often good for all 4 of the widespread UK reptiles, but easier to search in during the spring whilst it is flattened.

To be honest though it wouldn't be where I would spend a lot of time looking specifically for grass snakes. Well vegetated banks of ponds would be my first option also.

At this time of year your most likely to see them fairly early in the morning.

yorky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 4:54pm
Many thanks Gemma, like you say I'd probably be better off concentrating my efforts elsewhere. I'll stick near the ponds next time.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2005 at 7:08pm
Loads of Grass snakes on my local Heaths Yorky!
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2005 at 2:28am

I note from your post on South Yorkshire Reptiles, and the response from Chris Monk that you are probably based local to Sheffield. I would imagine that the heathland you visited is to the north of the city, in the upper Don Valley, and as such does have a localised distribution of Natrix.

If you are specifically interested in this species, as Chris Monk has pointed out, the Sorby publication 'Reptiles and Amphibians of the Sheffield area and North Derbyshire' contains a distribution map, and commentary indicating a predominant distribution east of gridline 30. There is a correlation with lush lowland wetland habitats associated with the rivers Don and Rother. Areas around Woodhouse, Rother Valley Country Park, Whittington and Staveley are as good as anywhere.

At this time of year, in the hot weather we have been having, you will need to be out fairly early - feeding animals are regularly observed at 7-00am, although Natrix are notably more prone to bask at higher temperatures than Berus.

Hope this helps

John

John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
yorky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 5:59pm

Many thanks John

I was looking around the Wharncliffe heath area. I will persevere in the north of Sheffield as the south is a bit too far to go on my bike.

Regards

Yorky

John Newton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Newton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2005 at 7:49pm

In the Wharncliffe area, natrix have been recorded from the region to the north of MoreHall Water Gardens, continuing on towards Deepcar, along the Upper Don valley. You will not be tripping over them, and repeated visits will probably be required for an eventual sighting - unless you're lucky!!

Regards

John

John Newton

South Yorkshire ARG
yorky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 8:07am

John

Do you know if these recordings been literally at the side of the river?

I shall be going this weekend with my fingers crossed and my eyes peeled

I will let you know if I have been succesful.

Many thanks

Yorky

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 9:04am
Hi Yorky, don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for those all important sloughed skins also, you may not spot a snake in the margins, but you may see the evidence of where they may be found.
yorky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2005 at 11:13am

Good thinking Gemma  I will give it my best shot.

Regards

Yorky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic