the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass Snake Egg Incubator???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

we could find a really reliable control system

The STC1000 is worth looking at- these are cheap (less than £15), accurate to 0.1C, have a remote waterproof temperature probe, and can switch cooling as well as heating.

I use one of these to control temperature in an aquarium, it's been working well for a year now. 

Lots of home brewers use these too, someone's even made their own custom firmware for it to gradually change temperature over a period of days...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm
I drive my husband mad with the compost heaps. First I'm saying not to dig/turn them as there are hibernating reptiles and then I'm saying there are breeding inmates and then young. In truth the tin sided heap I consider 'my' dedicated wildlife one (also newts frogs and toads go in the heaps)and am reluctant to disturb it much, but we need to get out the finished compost and chuck in more greenery and cardboard to make it a working heap again.
Next year I am going to try something else as well. I will make a heap on the ground in the long grass near the heaps and frequently add to it -lawn mowings, cardboard, garden greenery - and keep covered with black plastic. I'm sure grassies will go in it and maybe breed.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 11:26pm
It would be great if you do manage to set up a live feed with time lapse etc!

Grassie eye-ball cam. What if you cover the compost with that black hessian stuff Suze, does that work?
RobV
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 12:01am
Rob do you mean black hessian instead of black plastic? To allow rain in to keep it humid? I do water any covered heaps to try and achieve that, but am willing to try. Thing is plastic keeps the damp in nicely.
Suz
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 9:24am
I have a worm culture covered with black denim (not a fashion statement, just the thickest piece of rag that was to hand!), and it's always damp underneath. 

I couldn't say if it's due to keeping moisture in, or letting rain through, but we don't have a great deal of rain up here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic