the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Active topics since last visit - fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active topics since last visit - fault
    Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:32am

Hi all,

If you have experienced problems viewing 'active topics since your last visit' we think we have fixed the fault. (all to do with our server running on US local time whilst the forum thought it was in the UK)

Thanks to Caleb for reporting the fault, if anyone is still having problems please do let me know.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 9:47am

Hi Gemma,

I thought it was me! Every time I logged on it would say nothing new so I had to manually set it to search backwards. Also sometimes when I had then looked at one thread out of a pageful it would then report no more to view when I went back. This fault has only been evident for a few weeks but I had it again today mid-afternoon.

Suz
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:07pm

Gemma

Sorry to say, I've just had the same fault as Suzi - and it was after looking at this topic posting! You go back to the "active topics since last visit" page and it displays no new topics as it has logged an entirely fictional last visit time, usually a few hours previous when you weren't visiting the site.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:19pm
PS Looks like it is still running on US time, just notice it has posted my items 5 hours earlier than I wrote them
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:14pm

Hi Chris, this version of the forum can not be switched globally to UK time. (well it can't be done easily) 

The only way to fix the display of US time is to use the edit profile button.

Towards the bottom of the page you will find the field 'Time offset from forum time' set this to +5 and the forum time will appear correctly on your computer as BST. Try this and let me know if there is still a problem with the active topics since last visit filter.

I can not replicate the problem this end since I changed the LCID setting for the forum to US settings this morning, so had assumed it was cured for everyone (this isn't the reason for the 5 hours behind display - the server time is a seperate though linked issue, but as it is a shared server I can not ask the provider to change the time settings). 

I'm still integrating and developing the MS SQL forums, so I will bear this problem in mind before I upsize the database and put the new version on-line, and hopefully find a cure.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:51pm

I just had the same fault as you Suzi, worked fine, then when I revisited nothing, then it worked again

So, I've been on the web wiz support site, it appears the active topics page on this now rather old version of the forums has a few problems, not only when used on servers set to US time but also with some servers generally, it is possible to cure it, but it would take recoding the page.

The MS SQL version has an updated page that is supposed to address these problems. If peeps can bear with the quirky results for a few weeks it should all be cured when we move to the new (and lightning quick in the development version) forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic