the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent advice - threatened Grass Snake ar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent advice - threatened Grass Snake ar
    Posted: 27 Mar 2005 at 5:23pm

Can somebody please tell me how long it takes before English nature usually reply to an email or correspondence sent to them or copied?

Am I right in thinking that Greg Smith is still the co ordinator for the Essex and Herts region.

Thanks

Robert

RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2007 at 3:56pm
HI Robert hope this  will be of some cheer to you but i have sighted the odd grass snake in epping forest last year I notice you mentioned Malenoir I  assume you  mean George as I knew him well in the 1950s Early 60s . and it was at Rushey & sunshine plain in the HIgh Beech wake arms area that I was introduced to reptile life by the late author and naturalist Fred Speakman where I caught my first ever common lizards adders grass snake and sloworms over 50 unbelievable years ago seems like the other day.  and have been interested ever since.  I have also found english nature are not very helpful when get in touch with them.  as I stated  in my article in the common lizard forum regarding Cavenham heath in Suffolk       regards Keith 

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 5:06am

Keith, Hi,

yes it is of some cheer, but, like you say, its the "odd grass snake" now!

I can imagine that when George Malenoir took you over EF in the fifties, there were considerably more Nn and Vb? Am I right or wrong?

The conservators would have you believe that the decline is due to 'invasive species' of plants. This is just not true. In 1994, just before the long horn fencing went up at the Long Running and purple moor grass was up to your knees in most of the plains, I spotted 38 Adders and 18 Grass Snakes in a single day in April (Roy Gordon used to spot a lot more than that!). Keith, if you walk the same areas now, just thirteen years later you'll be very lucky to see half a dozen.

You must know of a certain Adder hibernation site near a certain car park in the forest? The conservators opened up that area with the wholesale clearance of all scrub..... did they ask you, George, Roy, me, RAUK, or anyone else for guidance?

But, I suppose we have to be thankful that EF survives and is generally cared for (I mean rubbish is cleared diligently by guys that walk in the rain for hours along the roadside banks and remove heavy settees etc after being dumped, so thanks for that lads if you're reading this) and with that I've decided not to go to press, after all the forest was supposed to be for the 'general' public, not just herp enthusiasts Lol!!!  

RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2007 at 6:31am
hi Rob yes its sickening the way some peoples ideas on conservation is by tidying up every bramble bush or any thing that looks untidy ie bracken heather and anything else that doe not fit in a sterile uniform way plus any track that passed through tranquil plains & glades has to be bitumened over for wheel chair axis and for dog owners to foul up.you mention the name Roy gordon did he originate from the Fulbourne road area of Walthamstow ?also Baldwins hill was once a great place for sloworms I found a complete albino one there. also it was George malenoir who put me onto all the sand lizard sites in Surrey Hants & dorset in the 1950s when you had to travel by steam train to get anywere. are you near Epping regards keith

Edited by AGILIS
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2007 at 2:33am

Well Fred Speakman is a character I would like to learn more about as he is a big part of the History of Herpetology in Essex. We had the snake catcher in the New Forest while we had people who were snake catchers for a different reason - rescuing snakes which were going to be killed - Roy Gordon and others used to collect adders from other parts of the country (mostly local areas) and bring them to Epping Forest.

Fred Speakman used to get the same people to collect snakes for his exhibitions I believe - I would like to record experiences of this for a new book on Herpetofauna in Essex 

Please do get in touch

Robert regarding contacting English Nature or now Natural England I would expect that their reply would be a long time coming (as they are very busy) and I suspect that you will not get the answers that you want.

I would suggest copying in Jim Foster in your discussions - the EARG has had many run ins with EN/NE over their 'activities' relating to SSSI restoration work in other parts of Essex. The effects this work has on great crested newts can be quite negative. Have a look at Abbotts Hall Farm (coastal realignment) and Heathland restoration works at places like the Back Warden, Danbury to see what possible damage they can cause to European Protected Species.

Of course reptiles do not feature high in their priority list and so they are left out of any management plans etc

Our problem is we are seen as trouble makers, upstarts etc so they do not like to work with us........

Good luck

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2007 at 10:24am
HI HERPETOLOGICAL 2    Fred Speakman lived ran the center up at High Beech in the forest in the 1950s & early 60s and I knew him as a friend & and I also supplied reptiles for his displays. and he wrote about local poachers and characters of the forest area such as Curtis whose family ran a fishing tackle shop in Wood st Walthanstow sadly I believe he remarried and moved to the West Indies or somewhere and sadly died I owe a lot to this man for my interest in herpetology including Geo  malenoir.        keith

Edited by AGILIS
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2007 at 10:35am
hi again Rob dare I mention the natural england mob thats probably just  another quasi named quango of english nature. But  getting of the herp side of things, A few years back near Bury st Eds me and friend were driving back and to our astonishment a red squirrel ran in front of our car and stopped in the middle of the road, so we had a good visual of it ,this we reported to english nature left our phone no. as to give more detailed info on a rare sighting as you can guess they never bothered to ring us back.    keith 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic