the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is there frog spawn everywhere?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is there frog spawn everywhere?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 9:10am

Dear All

This is probably a very basic question. I was walking through the fields yesterday and there was frog spawn everywhere in the grass, on a cattle grid, in the road etc.

Is this usual? Also how big a clump does one frog lay?

I was very happy because a new pond dug last June has spawn in it and our wildlife pond, relaid last october has been re-colonised as well/.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Mason
Isle of Arran
peastick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peastick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 11:07am

Hi Stephen,

I have never witnessed the spawning as it occurs but observation reveals clumps of spawn the size of a ping pong ball. Given time and some warm weather this can swell upto the size of a football. I guess it depends on the maturity of the frogs mating and their physical condition.

It is not uncommon to find spawn in flooded tractor ruts or waterlogged grassland, bear in mind they have woken from their winter slumber and spawning is uppermost. Once that is dealt with the frogs will resume a land existence and seek out food.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic