the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ribbon snake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ribbon snake
    Posted: 25 Mar 2005 at 6:38pm

How would you suggest that I add some variety to a ribbon snakes diet? I know that they will take earthworms, crickets, small fish etc...

The guy in the store told me he has only fed it with pinkies, what do you suggest?

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2005 at 9:50pm

Hi Ross, not a dig but this isn't really a pet orientated site, you might get a better response from a different forum.

Someone might know better but I would have thought if the snake takes pinkies there wouldn't be a need to vary his diet as they are whole animals and should contain all the nutrients needed. It might be advisable to give a vit/mineral supplement but as I've not kept ribbon snakes I can't really advise.

Hope that helps a little.

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 1:23pm
I apologise wholeheartedly, believe me when I say that I'm not in the habit of keeping anything other than a dog as a pet! However if you saw the conditions that the snake was kept in then each and every member of this forum would have purchised it also!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 5:47pm

I keep a few reptiles and amphibians though most are non-natives removed from the wild at one point or another or re-homes. I haven't a problem with people keeping anything as a pet if they know how to look after it and care for its welfare. I just think some of the more pet orientated forums would give a quicker and more knowledgable response. Try

http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum

Don't be put off by the name, the forum is for keepers of exotics and not about livefood :0)

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 5:50pm
Thank you!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 8:25pm

Hi again Ross,

One bit of advice if the snake has been kept in poor conditions get a poop sample to a good exotics vet ASAP. There is a real risk that internal parasites may have built up that could be lethal. A quick check over at the vets at the same time will do no harm. If you need a list of exotic vets I can probably find a web link.

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2005 at 8:44pm

Thanks for the advice! I will do that!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic