the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Societies, Groups and Clubs > SE Regional HGBI Groups Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

online record submission form - feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 5:03pm

Further development of the form is carrying on with a picture upload version that is un-viewable due to it being a little 'raw' for web users!

I could do with some help though, the kentarg.org service provider has an acceptable use policy restricting the upload of certain media files to its servers.. penalty loss of the account, however it isn't at all specific as to which extensions it actually disallows, hence I have to code for safe allowable file extensions and block everything else.

I need to let the form know acceptable extensions, so far the following extensions are enabled

JPG, JPEG, JPE, PNG, TIF, TIFF, GIF, BMP, RLE, PICT, TXT, DOC, XLS

Any other suggestions for picture file extensions (not media clips though) and acceptable files appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by administrator
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 7:16pm

I would get onto HCT about this form lets get NARRS off the ground and into cyber space!

Jon

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 9:46pm

I've implemented David's suggestion at:

http://www.kentarg.org/record_submission_form_metdata_v01.htm

As I've said I won't be updating the live form until I implement the file upload facility, but there is a new section 'Weather?' on this non-active form, comments about format for met data or additions again very welcome.

Thanks to everyone who has given input so far.

Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2005 at 1:46pm
I presume the hoster is Dziner Solutions, if they don't publish an acceptable usage policy how are you supposed to keep to one?, I couln't find a policy on their web site.

As for 'acceptable' files, doc & xls can carry macro viruses. You may want to add rtf (Word rich text format) to the list.

Edited by Mike
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2005 at 2:13pm

Hi Mike,

they send the policy when you open the account, it basicly states (not a direct quote) that sound and other media files are not allowed. As it is a shared host I think they are trying to avoid people uploading MP3 and film clips that could slow the server down.

I think we will have to allow .doc and .xls for functionality though I realise there are possible problems.

One way I can get around the whole problem is to upload the files to memory and simply not write them to disk as I'm only capturing to attach them to emails. Though at the moment I would like the facility to save allowable files to disk at the same time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic