the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish Tortoise Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Tortoise Help
    Posted: 08 Jan 2005 at 2:44pm

Hi,

Don't actually have my notes to hand at the moment but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. Turkey, Alanya. June 1994. A Tortoise sp was seen from the castle overlooking the town. Could this be narrowed down to species just from the location?? Any help at all would be appreciated. Additionaly if anyones familiar with the area would you know what the medium sized lizards would be which where commonly seen throughout the town usually on telegrpah poles etc. I know it's not much to go on but I wasn't as interested in reptiles back then as I am now. Thanks.

Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2005 at 12:25am

Thanks for that - Would the only possibility be Spur-thighed or are there other species in the area?

Forget about the lizards I didn't take sufficient notes to even slightly narrow it down although I may have an old photo - I'll have a look.

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2005 at 12:17pm
What were the lizards like? Greyish-black, robust and rather spiky, adult size roughly 30-35 cm length? In that case it was Laudakia stellio, and agama. Thjese are very common in souther Turkey. A search with the scientific name at images.google.co.uk will bring up a number of photos for comparison.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2005 at 1:02pm

That's exactly the sort of Lizard. If not that species then something very similar. Hopefully I can find a photo I may have taken - thanks for all the help. Incidentally Turkey in 1994 was my last foreign trip where I didn't take notes on Reptiles.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic