the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floridian Snake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floridian Snake
    Posted: 11 Dec 2004 at 8:11pm

On a family holiday to Florida i made it my personal goal to find a wild snake. I had never found a wild snake before so it would have made my holiday complete. Anyway it was the last day of our two week trip and still no luck with finding the snake (although i did find a hell of a lot of green and brown anoles plus various other kinds of skinks).

So for the last day we went to Gatorland and i convinced my family to do the swamp trail walk. Well i was watching a curious little skink in the foliage until it scurried off and it its place a small (probs baby) snake came a-slithering in. I was overjoyed and i watched it until it slithered away, and about 15 meters from finding the first i saw a second snake (but bigger) basking openly on the swampy floor ( silly me forgot to photograph it). Well my family and I finished the walk and i convinced them to walk around a second time. And thats when i found this fella.

I think its a type of water snake but im not entierly sure. Hope someone can help, cheers.

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 10:14am
Looks like some species or other of the genus Nerodia, a North American genus of water snakes related to the UK grass snake. However, I can'tell any more than that from the photo.

Cheers,

WW
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic