the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salamander?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickmajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salamander?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2004 at 10:37pm

My daughter and I turned over a brick in our garden (Kent) and found a creature which looked to me like a salamander. It was very dark, almost black, with a warty appearance but no other coloured markings. I would guess the length to be 10-12 cm. The head was quite blunt-looking and the legs stuck out sideways rather than being held under the body. At first I was not sure if it was alive but I touched it gently with a stick and it did move before gently ambling away under another piece of brick.

Do we have salamanders in England, could this be one?

Thanks.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 1:54pm
nickmajor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickmajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 3:20pm

Thanks for that link, I'm pretty sure it was a crested newt in the land-living form.

Thanks.

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2004 at 8:22pm
Yes I am interested !

If you want to email me privately I would be very pleased to include the record on the county database. I can also send you a distribution map and give you some pointers as to where the newt may have come from.

Lee
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2004 at 8:25pm
Aha! Just checked my email and found that you have already sent me an email via RG... It's been a busy week!

Lee
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic