the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When should my froglet have lost its tail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejstubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When should my froglet have lost its tail
    Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 9:43am

I moved in to a new house at the end of April this year.  The house has a pond in the garden, about 150 gallons capacity, maximum depth about 80cm.  The pond was constructed by the previous owner, with a butyl liner, and a small cascade from an upper pool, although the pump had been removed.  I have replaced the pump and restored the flow from the pool.  The pond is now supporting a reasonably healthy population of water snails, a couple of semi-aquatic plants left by the previous owner, and some duckweed.

When we moved in to the house my partner's sister donated a clump of frogspawn from their pond.  What with the upheaval of moving in we didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the pond.  We never saw any tadpoles hatch and we assumed that the frogspawn had all failed.

Last night when I was removing some fallen leaves and excess duckweed from the pond, I was delighted to find a froglet in my net.  It seemed quite happy, although I did notice that it still had quite a long tail (my first thought was that I'd caught a small fish!)

Of course I returned the froglet to the pond, but I was wondering: shouldn't it have lost its tail by now?  Can anyone suggest steps I could take to encourage it (and hopefully its siblings) to complete its development?

Thanks & Regards

Martin

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2004 at 10:33am

Hi Martin,

Tail absorption usually occurs over a few days during the process of emergence, it's not unusual to find froglets (and toadlets) still with quite obvious tails hopping about at the margins of ponds. All is well and this little chap will soon absorb his tail and become fully terrestrial.

ejstubbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejstubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 6:35pm

Gemma

Thanks for that reassurance.  I'm pleased to report that a tail-less froglet was spotted in the border last weekend.  Let's hope there's more around somewhere nearby.

Best Regards

Martin

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic